Fiddler crab and red claw crab compatible?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
My red claw harrased my fiddler when I was a kid, and one day he got so annoyed at him he just ate him :wall: . He also bossed around my crayfish.

My most recent red claw tried to kill the shrimp I tried with it. They look sweet, but they've deffinately earned the title of agressive, IMO

SpitRhyma

AC Members
Oct 16, 2007
Red Claw Crabs will NEVER get along with other crabs. If you want more than 1 red claw you can manage it in a large tank with at least 2 diff. places to come out of the water. They will fight over land go to war... No joke...

The only crustacean I would try with a red claw would be glass shrimp. If your red claw gets along with other crabs it's probably sick and about to die...

Oh and I kept mine with a bee goby that sat RIGHT NEXT to it's claw and I still have the goby... the crab died though :(

Make SURE to add some salt to the water... not a lot... and have large dry places for him to sit on and you can keep him alive for well over a year.

Good luck.

Rythic

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
My tank has fiddlers and a male red claw crab (rescued from friends) and has never had any issues at all, they even eat next to each other. So myself have had no issues and it's been 6 months in the same tank. 1 male red, 2 male fiddlers, 3 female fiddlers. But that red is annoying because he does like to eat my plants.

ravenpb226

AC Members
May 10, 2010
North Beach, MD
Real Name
Allen
I started an invert tank with 2 fiddlers added another 2 and then a red claw. The red claw killed all of the fiddlers, and then when I had to put 2 fish in while rescaping another tank it took out one of the fish. Since then I've kept the red claw alone and he seems to be doing fine, I've got a beach for him to climb up to a couple of hiding places for him and have added salt to the tank.

SadisticEM1

AC Members
Aug 16, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
i know i might be resurrecting an old thread, i just signed up today and new..

I have 1 male Fiddler 1 male RCC and 1 female RCC (that is now prego) and the male RCC is the King in the tank... just witnessed the RCC rip the fiddlers big claw apart.. :( i was not happy i couldnt reach them in time to part them... now i gotta figure something out with the tank...

after reading the thread i would make sure there is more than one dry spot as they will get territorial..

considering the Female RCC is Prego and the Male is just looking out for it...

Burr

AC Members
Aug 28, 2010
An old thread but does anyone have experience with male RCC with female fiddlers? Are they equally aggressive?
My male fiddler just died and while I never saw him once engage the male RCC, after about a month the fiddler lost his large claw and lost his title as king, and each subsequent day I'd come home to find him having 1 less leg until his inevitable doom. I thought it was poor water conditions..
How are male RCC with female RCC?

Trail_Mix

AC Members
May 16, 2011
An old thread but does anyone have experience with male RCC with female fiddlers? Are they equally aggressive?
My male fiddler just died and while I never saw him once engage the male RCC, after about a month the fiddler lost his large claw and lost his title as king, and each subsequent day I'd come home to find him having 1 less leg until his inevitable doom. I thought it was poor water conditions..
How are male RCC with female RCC?
From what everyone seems to be saying, and from what I've seen and heard personally, it seems like crabs will vary in their aggressiveness based on their environment, their health, their tankmates, etc. Also, naturally, some crabs are just going to be more aggressive than others, that's just the way it is, same with humans. But something else to consider with fiddlers and RCC, size differences will play a big part in who's boss, and if one is bigger than the other by enough, then it's almost inevitable it will eat the smaller one, since crabs are opportunistic eaters. It's sorta like the rule with freshwater shrimp and fish: if the fish can fit the shrimp in its mouth, then it will.

I am curious about the male Red Claw Crab and female Fiddler combination though. As for just RCC, I know that if you keep one male RCC, he will get along fine with up to three or four females, so long as the tank is big enough, and there are enough above-water areas, and below-water hiding places.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store