fighting aglae in new tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jenricae

AC Members
Dec 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC Canada
Hi,
i've had a new tank up and running for a few weeks now. It's got some java ferns, onion plant and anubias in it. For the past week i've been fighting green algae that forms on the shells and window of the tank. It's a slow build and i just scrape it off. The anubias leaves have had algae on it and i've been wiping it off too.

I've reduced the phosphates by adding phosphate absorbing media and i've been doing frequent water changes. I've also dropped the light time from 10hrs to 8hrs. Been keeping the feedings to a minimum. Ammonia and Nitrates are 0 or pretty close to 0. Nitrites are low but not quite 0. Everything is healthy and active in the tank.

Is there anything else i could do to fight the algae, short of adding an algae eater?

DGC

All in One
May 8, 2010
London
Real Name
Darrell
what k rating are the bulbs, i found when i had only 1 3000k it grew green algae

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
Few things to note:
Required Levels for basic parameters: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0
Ideal levels for basic parameters: Nitrate 10-20 (or below 80)
If your nitrites are low and you have no nitrates you are not cycled yet.

Removing nutrients is NOT the way to control algae growth:
Phosphate levels should be between 5-10PPM to avoid green spot algae (GSA - The hard stuff that grows on the glass and slow growing leaves)

jenricae

AC Members
Dec 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC Canada
Bulbs are 2x24w Hagen GLO T5 HO. I believe it is 18,000°K but it could be 6,700°K, i'm not home right now to check.

Nitrates weren't zero but they're low, i'll check the chemistry tonight and see where it's at. Thanks for the tip though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store