Filter and Media options

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
My filter of choice has always been a H.O.T Magnum 250. I use the foam sleeve surrounding the filter chamber filled with Spiroax (sp.). No chemical filtration whatsoever. I am planning on buying one of these filters for my brother, for Christmas, for his 55 planted african cichlid tank as I have always had good success with them. My questions are what do you guys use and why, since I really don't have any experience with any other filters. Money is an issue. I'm looking to spend around fifty bucks, that's why my choice would be the Magnum. Any input?
thanks,
ROY

Mr.Jingles

It's Aqua Live!
Aug 26, 2000
MI, USA
I think alot of people are tired of talking about how much they dislike magnums, or how you can work your way around money problems, or how much better ehiems are than fluvals or how you should just get an eheim. At least thats how I was fealing when I read your post.

I personally dont have any experience with magnums, but according to what people say, they would be one of my last choices. Eheims are my first, only cause they are the only canisters Ive ever purchased, then Filstars (Ive heard great reviews that say they are as good as Eheims for a lot cheaper), then Fluvals, then Magnums.

I would look into Filstars on bigalsonline.com. They would be better suited for that type of tank and maybe cheap enough to buy.

Shiftaltumlock

No mater where ya go, there ya are
Sep 4, 2001
Hurst, TX
shiftaltnumlock.cm.nu
Hows it going Roy?

I have a HOT mag. It is not a very good bio-filter IMO. It just doesn't hold enough media. That is the negitive. The positive is, its cheap, it provides good surface aggitation(For no-planted ofcoarse). It is a decent Mech filter. it is a great water polisher.

For a Cichlid tank, you would be better off with an Emperor 400. I have one of these also.

The positives are, they are cheap($36.00 at BigAls). Lots of bio-filtration. Lots of media choices(especially if you buy 2 extra media baskets). High flow rate, easy to clean.

I really cant think of any negitives for this filter with a non-planted tank.

I hear people like the AC500's alot. I have never had one so I cannot vouch for them. It seems like the AC's would not be able to provide the bio-filtration as well as the Emperor. If I am wrong here, someone tell me why. Like I said, I dont know anything about them.

Maybe you could go with the Emperor and a HOT Mag. This would surely give you all the filtration you need on a Cichlid tank. Plus, you could use the water polishing cartridge.

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
I thinbk the HOT box filters are better for the $$$ for this AF cichlid tank.
Aquaclears are nice, I'd still go with the Marineland 400 though.
You can add cell pore/spirox/seachem matrix/plain old 3/8" lava rock etc.
Old spent carbon is ideal since it last about a month and has loads of surface area.
Building a nice rock hotel up near the surface of the water so that algae can grow on the rocks for the fish to graze on is a nice method. Adding water sprite floating is another way to get some green stuff going. Neither require any skills to deal with or grow. Pithophora is the most common algae that will grow in the current of a healthy AF tank on the rocks. It's quite nice looking.
Regards,
Tom Barr

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
Thanks for the input guys. The main issue as I said is monetary. I have $30.00 in credit and a $25.00 gift certificate at a local store. Otherwise I would certianly look into an online purchase of one of the brands that were mentioned. I asked about the Filstar as I have also heard very good things about them on this board, but the LFS does not carry Rena Products. My Brother's tank is about 35% planted,about 50% "rock hotel" as you mentioned, Tom, and about 15% open sand. He does have an AC 500, but that does not seem to be providing adequate circulation. The tank half without the filter seem stagnant (very poor flow). The Magnum would certianly increase the circulation below the surface throughout the entire tank, and I 'm assuming that running both would certianly provide adequate filtration. How's that sound?
ROY

Shiftaltumlock

No mater where ya go, there ya are
Sep 4, 2001
Hurst, TX
shiftaltnumlock.cm.nu
Sounds like it would work. I would put a good prefilter sponge on the magnum. You can use as much filtration on that tank as possible.

I have used Spiroax. Is am asumming that this is a bio-media. Is that correct?

If so, will a HOT Mag hold enough to provide decent bio-filtration on a 55?

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
The 400 HOT biowheel filter is pretty good since it has the biowheels.
Not a great filter if you are adding CO2, but if not, it's pretty good.
It'll filter a bigger tank than the Mag HOT.

If current is the name of the game, adding a small powerhead will take care of that. Use the venturi and let it blast. A rio 180 is very small and runs about 125gph and add that at the other end of the tank from the 400.
Runs about 15$ Retail.

You can buy open cell foam or get it from the local produce deptment/meat dept of local supermarkets. They often have either red or black and it's called Vestax. They use 3/8 or 1/2 thick foam for lining the food cases. They can easily give a small piece that you can cut and add to the filter trays.

Or higher density Poly Urethane foam cut into blocks around 1/2-1 inch cubes.
You can add these to either filter you decide to get.
While it's nice to spend loads for stuff like spirox/cell pore etc, it's not that much different. It's all about surface area and water flow.

Regards,
Tom Barr

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by Mr.Jingles
Eheims are my first, only cause they are the only canisters Ive ever purchased, then Filstars (Ive heard great reviews that say they are as good as Eheims for a lot cheaper), then Fluvals, then Magnums.

I would look into Filstars on bigalsonline.com. They would be better suited for that type of tank and maybe cheap enough to buy.
I would agree with that......

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store