Filter help, asap

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

punkinpie

Registered Member
Jan 16, 2003
Visit site
Hey! :) I've had an aqaurium set up for a while but have always had problems with the filter. The first one I had didn't work good at all so I changed to one of those ones that sit in the gravel(not under) and bubble. It keeps floating to the top and driving me crazy! I've decided I should probably go with an undergravel filter now. Is this the best way to go? What do I need for a 10 gal tank?

Thanks!

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
Welcome to AC. :)

Undergravel filters aren't really that great. Just get a HOB(hang on back) filter. Either a Penguin 125 or an AquaClear 150.

Last edited:

punkinpie

Registered Member
Jan 16, 2003
Visit site
Thank you!

How do I go about getting the water clear again after the filter problems? Should I just change some of the water and put the new filter in?

Orbitorly

Out in left field...
Well when you get your new filter I recommend Penguin 125, it'll need some time to get a bio-load on it or bactiria. So I dono I would think if you change alot of the water out you will take alot of the bactiria out and when you put the new filter in it will get messed up. So this is my opinion, get the new filter let it do it's job for 3-4 weeks and then do a 50 % water change, and then countinue with 25 % water changes weekly..

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
Water doesn't contain bacteria. Bacteria is quite firmly attached to the surface of your tank (ie. substrate, glass, decor, etc.) and resigns mostly in your filter(s).

Stick the new filter on your tank, let it run for a month or two. Sounds like you currently have a sponge filter in your tank? Do you have to pump air into this filter to get it to work? If it is a sponge filter, stuff the sponge into your filter (aquaclears work perfectly in this respect) and leave it at that... you can even cut the sponge up into smaller pieces if needed to fit the filter. I've stuffed established sponge filters into my Aquaclears and run them like that before with no biological filtration problems.

As a side note... UGFs are good filters as well... if and only if you maintaint them well. Although I personally don't use them since I figure there are better forms of filtration out there, I have nothing against them.

HTH
-Richer

punkinpie

Registered Member
Jan 16, 2003
Visit site
I got a Penguin Mini which the lady said would be the best because even when you change the filter the good bacteria stays on the wheel. She said for a 10 gal this was perfect. I put it on just a few mins ago so hopefully things will clear up.

Thanks for the help!

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
yea the penguin is a good filter with the biowheel it shoyld be suficent for your tank. i would of recommended the AquaClear

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store