Filtration Issue

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shrimparecool

AC Members
Aug 29, 2018
Hey everyone,

I’ve tried googling this question and had no luck. One person said they had the same exact issue with this tank but no solutions. Maybe someone here can lend some insight.

I have a Marineland portrait 5 gallon tank. It came with a light and filter. The filter is in the back portion of the tank. The first year that I had it, everything worked great. I just use it as a betta tank (now with a couple shrimp), nothing crazy since it’s only 5 gallons. The past couple months the filter hasn’t really been doing it’s job. (Don’t worry, I’ve just been cleaning the tank more. ) The waste that normally collects in the filter cartridge just ends up sitting on the bottom. The water is normally clear though. I’ve left the same cartridge in the tank for over a month and it stays clean. I’ve messed with this quite a bit so I can’t figure out the problem.

The flow of the filter is just fine. It pulls water through the back part of the tank and the filter cartridge like it should. I had the filter turned down a little because my betta wasn’t happy about the current, but even when I turned it back up nothing changed with the issue. I changed the cartridge and nothing. I’ve cleaned the filter pump. I can’t figure out what’s wrong.

*Excuse the cloudy water in the tank, it’s normallt clear. I just scrubbed the sides of the tank

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

6DB6AC4B-9059-41FE-8375-5083958AE8B3.jpeg

C5E2141D-5F8D-498E-9060-CAD658213FDC.jpeg

EE68F418-E772-43C0-92E5-75395F2856EB.jpeg

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Welcome and nice setup!

I'm not familiar with this specific hardware, but I'd start by completely disassembling the filter, cleaning the impeller, it's housing, any ports and all tubing. Bio film and gunk can build up in areas you wouldn't normally clean or may not be able to get at easily. It will slow flow over time.

shrimparecool

AC Members
Aug 29, 2018
Hey thanks!
I’ve actually been on here with another name a few years back... forgot my login and was feeling super lazy

The flow hasn’t actually been slowed down at all. When I turn it all the way up it’s like a cyclone in the tank haha. It still pulls water through the cartridge as it is supposed to. That’s whats really confusing me.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm not familiar with your set up either but I see a couple things. The intake seems to behind the tall rocks & fairly high in the tank. & the big stone substrate is attractive but can allow the poo to sift down between them. I bet it's hard to vacuum too.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

shrimparecool

AC Members
Aug 29, 2018
Yeah I usually have to push the rocks around when I vacuum. Can’t really be too aggressive with the vacuuming now that I have shrimp.. maybe I’ll switch to a different substrate. The shrimp are also VERY good at hiding in the rocks. I got them about three weeks ago. There were 5 originally. I’ve no idea how many I have now... mr. Betta May have had a snack or two. At least the rocks give them somewhere to hide haha.

I just never seemed to have this problem when I first got the tank and I’ve always had the same rocks. It’s worth a shot changing the substrate though.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Reactions: TBear

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
As Fishorama noted, the rock may now be impeding your filter's ability suck in detritus other than behind that rock.
Perhaps there has been a subtle change in the hardscape?
I'd move the rock or the filter a couple inches one way the other.
A minor rescape seems the best solution since the filter seems to be working fine.
I like your set up.

shrimparecool

AC Members
Aug 29, 2018
Thanks guys!!

Yeah I think I’ll change the substrate since I can’t move/adjust the filter at all. I’m thinking maybe natural gravel that matches the stone, with some large stones in the back. Or maybe sand? I had sand in a different betta tank once and vacuuming was tricky...I tried the “tornado” method but no luck.

Ghost463

AC Members
Sep 12, 2018
In the bottom of the filter system u have a small pump. I would start by cleaning that out. After time pumpes get buildup of junk and slow. Worst case a replacement may be in order. Thankfully it should not be more then a 20$ part. The hoses as well try to brushs them out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store