Fine sand vacuuming help.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, as a pool sand user, that looks pretty fine. But it's not Torpedo Beach either, in your pic. Did you get Moonlight sand instead? Like I said, it's a matter of practice & technique. With finer sands you don't want it too deep. Vacuum into a bucket, swirl & dump water & rinse the bucket & return the sand leftovers to the tank with some dechlor. You can do this!

Nyk0nn

AC Members
Sep 27, 2021
Pennsylvania
Real Name
B
Yeah the moonlight is what I have.
I actually don’t really pull much sand I pull more water trying to get all the debris. That’s my problem, I would like the vacuum would take out all the gunk as well as some sand but it just swirls in the tube and then mostly falls right back out? I did it yesterday and basically took out half of the 75 gal just to get all the crap out.. I can’t keep doing that weekly can I?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yes, you can! That's how many of us that do large weekly water changes do it. You just need to work on your technique...Really, that sounds exactly right, but only if you do it every week or so. If you can suck up the debris & let the sand drop back into the tank, that's perfect!

Reactions: Nyk0nn

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
It a learning curve, work on your technique with your fine sand...& make it a regular part of your tank maintenance every week (or so) I think I said that...really, once you get the hang of it it's not that bad, especially if this is your only tank. Many of us have a few (or more!) tanks. You need to think of it as exercise & a fish health maintenance ritual. Just a routine thing that takes, what? a half hour or so, not so terrible for a happy healthy tank. As Nike used to say, just do it! Make it a habit & if you slack off for a couple days once in a while, you & your tank will be fine. Hobbies take time but not too much

Nyk0nn

AC Members
Sep 27, 2021
Pennsylvania
Real Name
B
This the only tank that has the fine sand in it.
I have one 75 with fine sand, one 75 with black eco-complete, one 29 with black sand and a 20 gal with fluval plant and shrimp substrate.

Now that think of it, I’m actually all over the place in terms of substrate..

Just have to keep up the good fight, lol.

thanks all for the insight as always.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
how high off the ground is the aquarium? and how low are you syphoning too?

it sounds more an issue with the flow created by the syphon, rather than the size of the tube itself.

Nyk0nn

AC Members
Sep 27, 2021
Pennsylvania
Real Name
B
I’d have to measure but maybe 5 foot to the floor? Should I try to cut some excessive off the hose or remove the bulb?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
no, you normally want there to be as much a vertical drop as possible.

I've never been a fan of battery operated gravel cleaners, but if you cannot get the suction using the syphon, I would think about something connecting to a filter or using a pump

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store