Finnex Planted + 24/7

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PlantedEnthusiast

AC Members
Nov 1, 2016
Just a quick question...I have a 120 gallon standard aquarium, with currently 2 30" Finnex Planted + 24/7 lights. Also a pressurized Co2 system and ADA aqua soil as substrate. Now that you know my setup, I need to know what range my lighting is? (low, medium, or high) If I am not in the high light range, what can you recommend I add to enter that range? I want to be able to grow a carpeting plant other than DHG, and other plants that require high light. Thanks in advance!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
What is the distance from the fixture to the substrate? I would assume about 24-26" and I haven't seen any par data over 20" for the 24/7, which is about 50 par, putting even that just on the cusp of high light. Plus in 24/7 mode it is only in that high light range for a short period of time, most carpet growers say you need a longer period. As to what to do about increasing your light... at that depth I have no off the top of my head suggestions, sorry. But, have you tried any other carpet plants? If your ferts and CO2 are on point you might be able to grow other plants without the added light. How well does your DHG do?

PlantedEnthusiast

AC Members
Nov 1, 2016
What is the distance from the fixture to the substrate? I would assume about 24-26" and I haven't seen any par data over 20" for the 24/7, which is about 50 par, putting even that just on the cusp of high light. Plus in 24/7 mode it is only in that high light range for a short period of time, most carpet growers say you need a longer period. As to what to do about increasing your light... at that depth I have no off the top of my head suggestions, sorry. But, have you tried any other carpet plants? If your ferts and CO2 are on point you might be able to grow other plants without the added light. How well does your DHG do?
The DHG was producing runners quite well, however I'm new to Planted Aquariums so me saying it did well could probably be slow growing to someone else. I've had the tank up about 2 1/2 months and when I took the DHG out, most of the patches had about 5 inches worth of runners coming from them. I just didn't like the look of the grass with my scape, I would like to do Monte Carlo or Dwarf Baby Tears. (Something that looks similar to those two) I have the EI Methos frets from GLA however last time I was dosing regularly I had an enormous diatom algae bloom. Had to scrape the sides and front of my tank every two days. So I'm not very educated on how to dose but I believe the source of my problem was dosing too much versus the amount of plants I have. Too many nutrients and not enough plants to "soak them up." I would say you are on point with the height from substrate, I'm not at home right now but I believe the tank is 30" tall and I have 4-6" of substrate.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I imagine this is a 5' 120g tank, not 4' so I imagine the depth is 26", and that you have the lights end to end to span the 60" of the tank.

I would personally put your light at low-medium (just an estimate...) and the easiest way to add to that would be to add more fixtures. but, as always, just play it by ear and see what grows. Finding a local plsnt group as a source of clippings will let you experiment with different plants to see how they do.

PlantedEnthusiast

AC Members
Nov 1, 2016
I imagine this is a 5' 120g tank, not 4' so I imagine the depth is 26", and that you have the lights end to end to span the 60" of the tank.

I would personally put your light at low-medium (just an estimate...) and the easiest way to add to that would be to add more fixtures. but, as always, just play it by ear and see what grows. Finding a local plsnt group as a source of clippings will let you experiment with different plants to see how they do.
Okay, I'm going to pick up another timer outlet today and I'm gonna try just running the lights at max power for a while because since I've had these I've used the 24/7 feature. If I do have to add another set of lights, what would you recommend?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Okay, I'm going to pick up another timer outlet today and I'm gonna try just running the lights at max power for a while because since I've had these I've used the 24/7 feature. If I do have to add another set of lights, what would you recommend?
I'm always a fan of keeping consistent lighting on a tank, and having the same fixtures on a tank.

If they were still making lights, I would suggest looking into a Build My LED fixture, I think they made one that was 5' long.

But otherwise, it depends on budget, and how you have your tank configured.

I would likely go for a pair of Kessil lights suspended above the tank, Having another Pair of 24/7s would be an OK option too (But I'm not sure it would be enough light for you)

I'm sure someone will have a good current suggestion though, I'll be at the aquatic experience this weekend, so I'll look for suggestions as I poke around,

PlantedEnthusiast

AC Members
Nov 1, 2016
I'm always a fan of keeping consistent lighting on a tank, and having the same fixtures on a tank.

If they were still making lights, I would suggest looking into a Build My LED fixture, I think they made one that was 5' long.

I would likely go for a pair of Kessil lights suspended above the tank, Having another Pair of 24/7s would be an OK option too (But I'm not sure it would be enough light for you)

I'm sure someone will have a good current suggestion though, I'll be at the aquatic experience this weekend, so I'll look for suggestions as I poke around,
I'm the same way, as far as the same look, doesn't necessarily have to be the same light. I spoke with Dave from ADU Aquascaping (not sure if you know of him) he suggested adding the Finnex Ray 2 (I would have to get 2 30" lights) however they are a bright white/silver color and fairly bulky as well. I would love to get some Kessil lights but I don't see that working in my budget within the near future lol. My wife already doesn't like the fact of how much money I've put into this tank already. Thank you for your replies and if you are able to find anything at the aquatic experience, do let me know!

p0tluck

AC Members
Nov 9, 2015

i have a 48" led fixture for my tank and people said that its low.... so now that i seen your post and seems you know about led's my 48" is filled up with pods 4 blue 8 white 4 red 2 color enhancing would this still be considered low light

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
i have a 48" led fixture for my tank and people said that its low.... so now that i seen your post and seems you know about led's my 48" is filled up with pods 4 blue 8 white 4 red 2 color enhancing would this still be considered low light
It really depends on the emitters used in the pods, and specifically how many you use.

I'm assuming something similar to the eLive or ZooMed ones... and without knowing more, I'd say low light.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I'm the same way, as far as the same look, doesn't necessarily have to be the same light. I spoke with Dave from ADU Aquascaping (not sure if you know of him) he suggested adding the Finnex Ray 2 (I would have to get 2 30" lights) however they are a bright white/silver color and fairly bulky as well. I would love to get some Kessil lights but I don't see that working in my budget within the near future lol. My wife already doesn't like the fact of how much money I've put into this tank already. Thank you for your replies and if you are able to find anything at the aquatic experience, do let me know!
I am using a couple of Ray2s over tanks. and they really aren't that bulky, depending on what you are comparing too... if looking against the 24/7 lights, they are thicker, but still less than a T5 or more fixture.

And FWIW, I do like the color they make my tanks, they just aren't dimmable nor can you control the spectrum, if that makes a difference.

I'll let you know if I find anything.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store