Fish and shrimp dying! Diseased water?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OrQidz

AC Members
Feb 18, 2007
sounds like you are getting on track with the cycle. I think we all learn the hard way at first! I know I did. I don't think the bacteria from a SW tank would transfer over. With what you've had going on in the tank, you've probably got a good start on the good bacteria population; they just need time to grow and feed on those nitrogenous wastes. Plant wise, if you have an aquarium club around that's a good way to meet people who can spare a hunk of java moss, or some stem plants. I have had good luck with java moss (use some fishing line to attach it around a piece of wood or rock or something), java fern and anubias (with either, also tie them to something with thread or fishing line - if you bury the plant itself in the substrate it will rot), amazon swords (pretty tough and like root tab fertilizers) and hygro seems to grow well. Those plants in the tubes aren't the greatest, but the ones in the water at petsmart aren't always the best either. I have done ok with the ones in the tubes, once they get established they are fine. Know what is and what is not truly aquatic though. Mondo grass, bamboo, etc are not aquatic plants. A good and cheap trick is to look at the plants, then pop over to the area where they have books and look them up in an aquarium book. Then you'll know for sure!

I have always gotten bogwood from the LFS. Be careful about adding in wood you find laying about. At least know that it hasn't been treated with chemicals, and scrub it, soak it in boiling water for a few days at least.

Good luck! It's a fun hobby, great for the kids too.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Adding in plants is a great idea to do during a cycling tank. Just remember that plants are a living organism too and you'll need to learn how to care for them as well. They need to proper light, fertilizer and substrate for them to grow happily.

Plants will eat all the common forms of nitrogen (NH4, NH3, NO2 & NO3), they actually can take up nitrite the quickest. When I started up my 125 gallon tank I tossed in 40 plants and didn't bother to worry about the tank cycling. I started adding nitrogen in my ferts immediately. I also only tossed in 30 LF danios to start. Not much of a fish load and I've built up my stocking slowly.

Lals

AC Members
Jan 13, 2012
Utah
OrQidz--Thank you so, so much for your advice about plants. Great tips. I checked out the plants in the tanks the other day and was really grossed out. And it was terribly overrun with snails. I have been looking for a group in my area, but everything I've found is defunct. So, I've been looking for plants from online retailers that seem reputable. (Any you recommend?) I've been reading up on plants, care, and specific needs and think something like moss is right up my alley. Easy to care for! I think a moss wall would look great (and cover up the cheesy fake background that is on there now) as well as give my fry a great hiding place, food, etc.

TheV--125 gallons? That sounds awesome. I'm jealous. I've been doing as much research about plants as I can find/have time to read, so I'm feeling fairly confident. Do you have a favorite plant? Any pictures of your tank?

cicruch13--Thanks for your encouragement. I appreciate it more than you know!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store