Fish Choices

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Treevore

Registered Member
Feb 9, 2003
What kind of fish can you think of that qualify for the following criteria?
-Can be kept in a 10 gallon with corys
-"Oddball"
-Easy to keep and feed
-pH that is a bit alkaline

Also, suggestions that would be good for the above criteria but in a 20-29 gal would be nice too.

Thanks

Last edited:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
It's the oddball part that's hard.

I'd look into some of the more obscure species of gourami, like the licorice, or maybe some of the killifish. They're pretty adaptable to water conditions, and won't get too large for the tank. You should also check out dwarf puffers--very cool, usually okay with larger fish, feeding consists of snails and live brine/worms.

For a bigger setup, african butterflies are cool fish--weird looking, and usualy pretty easy to keep, as long as you have a well covered tank (they're jumpers).

If you willing to for go the cories, check out some of the native cool water options, like dace, minnows ect and www.nanfa.com.

Treevore

Registered Member
Feb 9, 2003
Thanks for the reply.

Let me try and put it another way: I am looking for things that you don't usually see in the average aquarium (the neon tetras, guppies, and goldfish). The stuff you pointed out is great. I will definitely look into a dwarf puffer, as they are cool.

You had the right idea with the different species. For example, some sort of more "uncommon" tetra might be somthing I'd like (except the pH thing). What about kribs? I know they are more commonplace, but they are also very attractive.

Last edited:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
If you can get only one gender, kribs would be okay. Otherwise they will breed, and the tank will become a place of terror for other fish.Look into some of the apistogramma species instead--more color, less troublesome for tankmates. Lots of choices for dwarf cichlids!

There are tons of great looking tetras--I'm a huge fan of silvertips and blues. As long as you acclimate them to your water conditions slowly, they'll be fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store