Fish eating eggs?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wench

AC Members
Feb 25, 2002
Cleveland, NY
Awhile ago I found out I had a female oscar. Found eggs in the tank. She would defend them against the other oscar in the tank, then switch and they would team up together and defend them against the rest of the fish. I either have two females or a male uninterested. They ate them or the other fish. Either way a couple of days later the eggs were gone. (fine by me)

This morning I am watching the tank, all the fish are a little more active than normal. Then I notice that the female is dropping eggs again. She's doing this while she swims around the tank and everyone is eating them as they drop, including herself.
Even if some land on the rock that she usually defends as hers, where she's been known to defend where the last eggs were left. Why would she do this?

Hatter

Elk Grove Village, IL
Are they relatively young oscars? It may be inexperience if so, they might still be "learning the ropes". Parents will also eat infertile eggs, but the fact that they are eating them right after they are laid would suggest that isn't the case.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store