Fish Feeding Pointers

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

railer20

AC Members
Oct 15, 2020
Kansas
So finally got my tank cycled and fish added yesterday afternoon. Fed this morning but have a question. I have a 54 gallon corner tank with a Cascade 1000 filter and spraybar as the output. When I fed this morning the flakes basically blew all over the place and seemed like most fell to the bottom. I think I need to crush the flakes up because my fish being new are pretty small so maybe that deterred them as well. But should I shut the filter off for 10 min or so while feeding so the food can float/settle normally if that makes sense? Also happy to take pointers on a feeding schedule. I have Xtreme flakes, nano pellets, algea wafers and dried bloodworms (can't remember brand).

1 - clown pleco
2 - nerite snails
3 - Pearl gouramis
8 - Sterbai Corys
10 - White Cloud Tetras/Minnows
10 - Harlequin Rasboras

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Congrats on your progress! I've been mostly following your cycling thread.

Like you say, all you can do is shut the filter off or re-direct your spray bars and/or filter outlets. Problem with power cycling filters is, it increases the chance it's not going to get turned back on.

I prefer not to use spray bars and just let canisters discharge out the elbow. I try to keep splashing and surface agitation to a minimum.

Reactions: Sprinkle

railer20

AC Members
Oct 15, 2020
Kansas
Congrats on your progress! I've been mostly following your cycling thread.

Like you say, all you can do is shut the filter off or re-direct your spray bars and/or filter outlets. Problem with power cycling filters is, it increases the chance it's not going to get turned back on.

I prefer not to use spray bars and just let canisters discharge out the elbow. I try to keep splashing and surface agitation to a minimum.
Honestly I hate the spray bar so if there is another way I am all ears! Do you have a picture of how you do yours with the elbow? I'd rather not shut if off if possible.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Honestly I hate the spray bar so if there is another way I am all ears! Do you have a picture of how you do yours with the elbow? I'd rather not shut if off if possible.
I don't have great pic taking skills or equipment, but you'll see the elbow in the pic below between the heater and intake for the HOB. I keep two filters on this 55gal. A sunsun 302 canister and an aquaclear 110.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Try rotating the spray bar so the holes face toward the glass a bit more as that may help from pushing surface food everywhere.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Man my elbow doesn't drop down far enough....wander if I can rig something lol.
What canister are you using? This cheapo sunsun 302 happened to come with different fittings that allows you to customize the outflow. I don' use any of the suction cup holders or anything. Just the J-hook, a small straight coupling then the elbow. I've got a box full of fittings I don't use having been through a bunch of different filters over the years. This particular Sunsun has been in use since 2013.

railer20

AC Members
Oct 15, 2020
Kansas
Cascade 1000. I just turned the spray bar around facing the glass. I didn't know if that was enough surface agitation. Guess between that and my two small sponge filters making bubbles it should be good?

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Just monitor the tank for a bit, I think once the fish grow a bit bigger and become comfortable you may be able to readjust the spray bar. The sponge filters should help break the water surface to provide gas exchange.

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
So finally got my tank cycled and fish added yesterday afternoon. Fed this morning but have a question. I have a 54 gallon corner tank with a Cascade 1000 filter and spraybar as the output. When I fed this morning the flakes basically blew all over the place and seemed like most fell to the bottom. I think I need to crush the flakes up because my fish being new are pretty small so maybe that deterred them as well. But should I shut the filter off for 10 min or so while feeding so the food can float/settle normally if that makes sense? Also happy to take pointers on a feeding schedule. I have Xtreme flakes, nano pellets, algea wafers and dried bloodworms (can't remember brand).

1 - clown pleco
2 - nerite snails
3 - Pearl gouramis
8 - Sterbai Corys
10 - White Cloud Tetras/Minnows
10 - Harlequin Rasboras
I would crush the flakes and feed smaller amounts at a time. I have a similar issue and I put a little amount of food, when they eat it I put a little more etc.. you could also redirect your flow at feeding time

Reactions: railer20
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store