Fish Food - the good, the bad, the smelly

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

court109

AC Members
Dec 30, 2002
Ottawa Canada
Visit site
I was just wondering what I would buy my gourmis for a treat? I have had my tank up and running for about a month, everything is going well. I've only been feeding my fish flakes. Should I be supplementing with something else? If so what? Frozen worms, fresh worms, shrimp, beef heart ...? My fish are just jouveniles and I want them to grow up big and strong:D

Anton Wernher

AC Members
Feb 24, 2002
NC
Insects, larvae, and crustaceans would be great. I would avoid the more meater foods such as worms and beef heart. Fresh spinach and lettuce would be great as well.

Twilight

AC Members
Sep 9, 2002
Born in the USA
Zuccini.........you know.....that green veggie that's from the squash family? Slice some up and throw it in. All fishies {well most} enjoy this as a source of vegitation.

blee358

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
Visit site
You could try to feed them those Hikari Freeze-Dried foods. Blackworms would be good for gouramis. There's also those frozen brine shrimp and blood worms if you wanna go with those.

court109

AC Members
Dec 30, 2002
Ottawa Canada
Visit site
Zuccini? Interesting, do you let it float on the surface? Do you cook it? Thin slices or thick? How about battered and fried with sour cream lol?

Thanks for the tip, that should be cheap too!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Zucchini should be either lightly boiled (30 seconds, then rinse cool), or frozen then thawed. My gouramies won't touch the stuff though--they like algae tabs better. I agree with Anton--avoid giving them too many meaty foods. I haven't had a problem with my 3-spot color morphs, but the dwarf neons get constipated from too many meats.

Peas, broccoli (just the stems--my fish don't like the florets) and cauliflour are okay too. Make sure your fish are eating it, and remove if not, or it can foul your water.

brackishwannbe

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
gourami treats

My pair of Gouramis, well I used to have a pair. Loved frozen blood worms or brine shrimp. The male would devour them up, but the female took her time and would wait for the food to float by, before eating.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store