fish for a 10 gal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hle_81

AC Members
Dec 9, 2002
florida
Visit site
what fishes would be good for a 10 gal? i would like to keep it understocked so i won't have to do so much maintenance.

Shibbies

One Shibby, Two Shibby, Red Shib...
Nov 27, 2002
Mobile, AL
Visit site
a few platies, swordtails, or mollies are nice easy to keep fish. you could try a few ottos or cories also.

My first tank was a 10g and I had:

2 platies
2 guppies
a few neons

then being newbies we made the mistake of adding a tiger barb who tortured our guppies :(

Start slow though...platies and swords come in so many colors you will surely find a combo you like.

Good Luck!

josh

wassup in the hood
Dec 2, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
www.umich.edu
10 - gallon fun

I have been thinking about the same thing recently. I just set up a 10 gallon tank about a month ago.

here's what I'm planning on doing:

1. Heavliy planting it (cos it's so dang cool that way)

2. Adding these fish: neon tetra's, a pair of blue rams (friggin cool little guys), and some otto's.

if you have a pair of blue rams, and you give them some time, you might even have the pleasure of watching them breed and raise some babies (which you can give to your LFS when they're big enough, my LFS is always in short supply of rams)

IMHO it's much more asthetically pleasing to keep fish in a small tank that are relatively small themselves. It just keeps the proportions right. For example, a swordtail gets pretty long (~4.5") and that might look a little cramped in the 10 gallon tank, but a platy is not quite that big (~2.5") so it looks a little nicer, and more appropriate for the tank. Blue Rams are ~3" max... neons ~1.5". All three are from south america (I think) and require similar water conditions. Blue rams might be sensative to the water conditions though...

-Josh

hle_81

AC Members
Dec 9, 2002
florida
Visit site
i might get a few platies. how much water should i change each week?

Apr 2, 2002
New York
If you get pairs of any live bearer you will have fry. Odds are any female livebearer you buy will have fry since they are sperm storers.

I had a great looking , well planted 10 gal for a while which had a pair of paleatus cory and 10 threadfin rainbows- a great tank to watch as the threadfins dispay all day long. However, the corys will eat threadfin eggs so I never had the pleasure of having baby bows. however, the corys were prolific as heck and often left 150 eggs on the glass :).

static69static

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
www.angelfire.com
I have a pair of rams in a planted 10 gallon. Only I have found out that a pair is too small for a 10 gallon. After first eggs, my female has been getting beat up by the male. I'm gonna buy some more plants to add more hiding spots, and I hope my val will start to grow in a little better.

Pics at
www.angelfire.com/tx5/myaquariumsite

golfnfish

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
NoCal
Visit site
I just set up a 5 gal (Yeah, I know, too small but it was a gift) and it has 2 mollies, 2 zebra danios and 2 panda corys. The pandas are the neatest little buggers. Get some (or another type) and you won't be sorry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store