Fish Ideas For 20 Gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishL0ver

AC Members
Dec 29, 2018
Hi, I recently got a new 20 gallon tank. My hopes for this tank are to transfer my telescope goldfish, 3 guppies and 3 white cloud minnows into the tank. I would also like to either get new fish for the tank, or add more fish, like guppies and white cloud minnows. I was also thinking of another goldfish other than a telescope. Should I get different fish?(If so what kinds?) Or should I get more of the kinds of fish I have?

Note 1: This tank is 20 inches in length, 10 inches in width and 25 inches in height.
Note 2: The goldfish i have is only about 4 inches long.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
20 extra high? That creates some extra challenges.

Are guppies cold water fish, like the white clouds and goldfish? How big will the current goldfish get?

FishL0ver

AC Members
Dec 29, 2018
The goldfish will get about 5 inches max. The white cloud minnows and guppies like a temperature around 78 Fahrenheit I have found. The goldfish is relatively OK with any temperature over 68 Fahrenheit.

FishL0ver

AC Members
Dec 29, 2018
Ok. My goldfish died due to a freak accident. I am going to change the temperature. I am thinking of leaving the fish in their tank, and start a tiger barb tank. I have heard they are very aggressive and need at least schools of six. I would like to find out other fish that could be compatible with these fish. Any ideas?

forse

AC Members
Nov 7, 2018
San Juan, PR
Real Name
Enrique
Tiger barbs should live only with other active swimmers. Due to your limited tank's size, your best choice may be another school of 6 zebra danios. But this will
be a loaded tank, IMO.

FishL0ver

AC Members
Dec 29, 2018
I love those fish, but this tank is new and online it says they are going to need a larger tank than a 20 if I want to add more. Also it said they don't do well in new tanks.

FishL0ver

AC Members
Dec 29, 2018
I think I found 5 borneo barbs at my LFS. I was wondering if I should take the five or if I should take 6 tiger barbs instead.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm not sure what "Borneo barbs" are. Your 20g high tank isn't big enough for 6+ tiger barbs IMO. A quick google said "Borneo barbs" are tiger barbs. But common names are not often accurate.

I like white clouds; guppies are just meh to me. But how about a dwarf corydoras species? Most corys are happy at low 70s as are white clouds & guppies, just a thought.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Very much agree. Some time ago I picked up ~6 tiger barbs from a local Petsmart when they had them on sale for ~$1/ea. Tiny little things, skinny, poor coloring. I brought them back to health, they grew and were too much for the 29g I had them in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store