Fish not eating

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Smokefire1

AC Members
Aug 15, 2017
Northern michigan
I had to start treating for ich a couple days ago I was using tetra ich guard. As of today none of my cichlids are eating I tried a morning feeding after noticing they didn't touch the food I immediately did a 50% water change and replaced the carbon tried feeding again tonight and a few of them ate but very little they're still swimming normal but they normally group together when I open the lid now they all hide in the caves when I get near the tank any thoughts

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
What kind of filters are on the tank? If the carbon is in there as part of the media, it is also acting as part of your biological media bed as well as chemical exchange. Keep an eye on parameters.

Smokefire1

AC Members
Aug 15, 2017
Northern michigan
Two HOB filters I have two fresh filters in right now I kept the two I pulled before I put the meds in I'm going to leave the fresh ones in for a couple days until the meds are all gone then put at least one of the old ones back in

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Fish not eating while sick is pretty common. If you are still treating for ich, focus on finishing that course, and avoid putting in fresh charcoal since that will remove the medication. Adult fish can easily go 10 days without food and be fine, but ich will negatively impact them. Soaking food with garlic might entice them into eating. I'd bump the temp up as well--even if you can't go to 86 (which kills ich), warming it up will speed up the life cycle and get it into the tomite stage faster, where it can be killed.

Reactions: fishorama

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yes, I too would only use carbon if you're trying to get meds OUT of the water column. Not sure what type of HOB these are, but hopefully it has a separate bio portion that remains untouched aside from maybe a quick rinsing in treated water.

I wouldn't even attempt to feed them for a few days, crank the temp up like Sheila said, increase aeration, gravel vacs and water changes. I have used meds for ich before I understood the above process, which is safer and more effective IMO.

Smokefire1

AC Members
Aug 15, 2017
Northern michigan
I put the carbon back in to get the meds out seemed to be a reaction to the meds I used the tetra product because it was the only one available locally i was unsure about it to begin with not only did it turn the water blue which I expected but it also left the water very cloudy and the fish were reacting poorly I've ordered a formalin based product that I've had great results with in the past I currently have no spots visible (infected fish died) I'm planning on keeping the heat up for a bit and watching for a secondary infection hoping the fish are resistant as all but one of them survived an outbreak 6 months ago I put a rubber lip pleco in to deal with the algae and didn't notice the spots until it was in the main tank my own fault trusted the lfs and didn't quarantine

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store