Fish outgrew tank...is it safe to move now?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Roseann1to3

Registered Member
Apr 15, 2019
I have 2 goldfish that were a "centerpiece " at a party 4 years ago. They are in a 10 gallon tank with a filter and gravel. They have outgrown the tank (probably 10 inches of fish now) and the tank is always getting cloudy. I have set up a forty gallon tank, added water treatment and tank cycle and run the filter for 48 hours. Can I float the fish for a bit in the new tank then add them now? How often do I need to test the water as the tank begins to cycle? I really want these fish to do well, they have grown into real beauties!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Move the filter media from the old tank over to the new tank and then, yes. Otherwise, it is not 'cycled', it's just been moving water around. The beneficial bacteria will be in the old filter media, and transport over to the new tank where it will colonize the new filter. Test daily, do water changes to keep ammonia below 1 ppm and nitrites below .5.

Reactions: Roseann1to3

Roseann1to3

Registered Member
Apr 15, 2019
Move the filter media from the old tank over to the new tank and then, yes. Otherwise, it is not 'cycled', it's just been moving water around. The beneficial bacteria will be in the old filter media, and transport over to the new tank where it will colonize the new filter. Test daily, do water changes to keep ammonia below 1 ppm and nitrites below .5.
Thank you for your advice!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Just to add to the above advice, I would move the gravel from the 10g over to the new tank as well. You can put it in a sock or panty hose if you don't want to keep it in there forever.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store