Fish recommendations

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CharlotteGlover

AC Members
Jul 28, 2018
New Zealand
im looking to add a centre piece fish to my 20gal tank. Ive got 5 rosy tetras, 5 danios, 2 kuhli loaches and a octocinclus catfish. I want a easy to care for fish that wont grow to big. I am upgrading the tank soon probably to a 40-60gal. Any suggestions?

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
There are several varieties of gourami that grow into the 4-6 inch range, if I recall correctly. That's an option.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Pearl gouramis are one of my favorites. Is this a 20g high or long?

nope

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2018
I think a neat idea would be to up the number of fish in your schools and maybe get a pearl gourami like FreshyFresh said.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'd wait until you set up the larger tank for more fish...& then add a pearl gourami & more of current your fish, they'd all like more friends (like others have said.

Use your 20g as a quarantine tank for each species. I QT for 4 weeks of health. I can't stress the value of QT enough...but see what's going on with your faded kuhli first.

forse

AC Members
Nov 7, 2018
San Juan, PR
Real Name
Enrique
Yeah, start adding up the numbers in your schools. As a matter of fact, otocinclus is a small catfish who prefers living in small groups, not alone.

DefJ123

AC Members
Jun 24, 2018
I'd wait until you set up the larger tank for more fish...& then add a pearl gourami & more of current your fish, they'd all like more friends (like others have said.

Use your 20g as a quarantine tank for each species. I QT for 4 weeks of health. I can't stress the value of QT enough...but see what's going on with your faded kuhli first.
Totally agree, quarantine is super important! Need to protect your existing stock from potential diseases from new comers.

As for a center piece, a german blue ram or an apisto would look nice if you didnt want to go with a gouramie.

As for upgrading tank, go as big as possible. That way you wont regret going with a smaller tank :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store