Fish suddenly not getting along!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

KayK

AC Members
Sep 17, 2016
I have a 10g tank with one Mickey Mouse platy and two guppies. All males. They have been getting along great for a couple weeks and suddenly one guppy is bullying the other guppy and the platy I swear looks like he's protecting him! Can anyone tell me what's up?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
That's been my experience with male guppies. If they don't have females to be a pest to, they'll bother, but not necessarily do harm to other similarly sized tank mates. You are kind of tank size limited to add more fish. You could mix up the decor in the tank to break up lines of sight.

KayK

AC Members
Sep 17, 2016
That's been my experience with male guppies. If they don't have females to be a pest to, they'll bother, but not necessarily do harm to other similarly sized tank mates. You are kind of tank size limited to add more fish. You could mix up the decor in the tank to break up lines of sight.
Thank you so much! I will try that and hope it takes care of it.

SirMuffin

AC Members
Sep 11, 2011
Usually your best bet when having guppies and platies in a group that small is to have at lease 2 females per male which can help spread out the aggression and keep everyone occupied.

KayK

AC Members
Sep 17, 2016
Usually your best bet when having guppies and platies in a group that small is to have at lease 2 females per male which can help spread out the aggression and keep everyone occupied.
Thanks! We are getting a 55 gallon tank soon so we can do that.

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
I would just say this is a pecking order.
If now one's getting hurt, I mean hey, someone has to be leader don't they?

Reactions: KayK

whenAshes.remain

AC Members
Sep 16, 2016
CT
Real Name
Trev
In a 10 you could have a few more platys without over burdening the bio filter... at least until you get the 55. The platys really are a schooling fish anyway... figure at least a small group of 4. The guppies should def chill out then as schools of fish are less attractive than a single fish who belongs in a school. What else are you going to do with the 55?

KayK

AC Members
Sep 17, 2016
In a 10 you could have a few more platys without over burdening the bio filter... at least until you get the 55. The platys really are a schooling fish anyway... figure at least a small group of 4. The guppies should def chill out then as schools of fish are less attractive than a single fish who belongs in a school. What else are you going to do with the 55?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store