Fish water good for plants?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bruddah Chrispy

AC Members
Dec 3, 2002
Redmond, WA
Visit site
I always fill my watering can whenever I'm doing a water change. The house plants really seem to benefit from it. (Except for that pineapple my girlfriend's daughters gave me)

I've got a planted, unsalted, aquarium FWIW.

wetmanNY

AC Members
Just another reason not to be putting that pinch of table salt in an aquarium, achu! The Cl ion in that salt is what affects the chloride cells in a fishes' gills, if the freshwater salting is for osmotic "stress.". But if you try to get a "salter" to switch to potassium chloride for the same effect-- well, you'll soon see that you're in the land of magic.

Any potassium from your KCl or other K-source nutrients for aquatic plants, will be more welcome than sodium in the garden too: potassium sulfate, potassium nitrate etc.

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
Yes, my wife is big into gardening and if I don't save the water for her the s- - t hits the fan. It's a pain because I have to siphon with a regular siphon to save the water and can't use my python.
She doesn't realize that I do an extra water change during the week with the python.........SHHHHHHHHH......DON'T TELL!!!!
Len

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
wetman: you are *on* the rampage about salt tonight. :p

i personally would wonder if it caused a smell longterm though. i have always heard it was great for plants, specifically because of the nitrates, which are a fertilizer. that would lead you into a different question: if you do alot of water changes... the nitrates may not be accumulated enuf for it to really be beneficial? there was another good point about it being dechlorinated too though.........

just some idle thoughts....

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store