Fishless Cycle Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FBCoach

AC Members
Jan 5, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
Hello All,

I set up a new 50 US gal tank 3 days ago. I am doing a fishless cycle and I'm not sure if I should keep adding ammonia or not. I started out at 5 ppm ammonia on Friday and added ammonia yesterday and today, Now the ammonia readings are off the charts and I have a 0 reading for Nitrites. I did not have any seed material from another tank to start with. I used AquaPlus to condition the water and Cycle to attempt to seed the filter.

I have a Penguin 330 filter. The water readings from the tap are; PH - 8.2
KH - 125.3 ppm
GH - 125.3 ppm

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Coach

morleyz

This space for rent
Sep 26, 2002
Illinois
www.allaquatic.com
You shouldn't need to add any more ammonia until you start to see nitrItes. Once that happens, you can start adding daily ammonia again.

Getting media from an established aquarium will help you significantly. Otherwise, it becomes a bit of a crap shoot as to how long it's going to take before nitrItes start to show. Just be patient.

famman

AC Members
Aug 16, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Do water changes until your ammonia reads 5ppm or less, then wait for it to drop. Once it drops, add 1/2 the ammount you used to create your original 5ppm reading. If you can't remember, add a small amount, wait an hour and test for ammonia. Calculate your 1/2 dosage based on that test. Look out for your nitrite first to spike, and then drop.
When you can dose your tank to 3 ppm or more ammonia, and by the following morning ammonia and nitrites read zero, you are cycled.
good luck
:)

FBCoach

AC Members
Jan 5, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
Thanks Morleyz and Famman,

Good news, I got a reading on Nitrites today when I got home from work, about 0.25 ppm.:D
Ammonia dropped back down to 5 ppm. I guess that is why you have to be patient. I hope it will be done in few weeks. Now, what kind of fish....:)

Thanks again,
Coach

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store