Fixing Old Pond in Tennessee - Need Help?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cutie_monster

big cutie monster
Sep 14, 2006
tazewell, TN
Real Name
brandy
i agree, they get huge-mongous. i only have 5 in my pond with about 20 or so comet gf
I would probably stay away from adding more koi since they get sooooooo big, but you could put in some single-tailed varieties of goldfish like comets or shubunkins. Just make sure your added stock are of a comparable size to the old one...a one or 2 inch comet could easily become a meal for a foot long koi. Do NOT add any of the fancy varieties.
i agree, koi get huge-mongous. i only have 5 koi in that pond with about 20 or so comet variety gf. comets come in many colors too, i personally think they're pretty. so are shubunkins (calico colored)

cutie_monster

big cutie monster
Sep 14, 2006
tazewell, TN
Real Name
brandy
i agree, they get huge-
I would probably stay away from adding more koi since they get sooooooo big, but you could put in some single-tailed varieties of goldfish like comets or shubunkins. Just make sure your added stock are of a comparable size to the old one...a one or 2 inch comet could easily become a meal for a foot long koi. Do NOT add any of the fancy varieties.
i agree, koi get huge-mongous. i only have 5 koi in that pond with about 20 or so comet variety gf. comets come in many colors too, i personally think they're pretty. so are shubunkins (calico colored)

cutie_monster

big cutie monster
Sep 14, 2006
tazewell, TN
Real Name
brandy

cutie_monster

big cutie monster
Sep 14, 2006
tazewell, TN
Real Name
brandy
sorry again for all the replies. *embarrassed* maybe one of these days i'll figure out how to post using the Mobile version of AC...doh!

Zbbal

AC Members
Jul 9, 2009
Sevierville, TN
We figured out that the pond is roughly 2,000 gallons.....

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
can you say *cichlid paradise!* LOL, i would have cichlids in there! ( to be percise it would be malawis/haps/peacocks :) ) with a big heater for the winter! lol

Zbbal

AC Members
Jul 9, 2009
Sevierville, TN
Is it okay to have just the two Koi in the pond and then maybe a couple of Comets? I'm not trying to overload the pond, since I don't live with my dad and therefore will only do occasional maintenance.

StarSapphire22

Senior Member and Goldie Enthusiast
May 3, 2012
Fargo, ND
Real Name
Jessica
I'd do like 30 comets if you don't want fully stocked. Full stocking is (IMO) the two koi with like 50 ish comets in that big of a pond. But I'm not sure if same stocking rules apply in a pond. When I figured that out, it was with double the gallons/aquarium fish and I allotted 400 for the koi since they can get to 3 feet. It will still look full enough where it's not bare (which you'll want, especially if you're not doing plants), and it won't be as high maintenance as a super loaded pond. Again, I'm probably being pretty conservative with these numbers, as I only have goldies in an aquarium and no actual pond experience. Make sure your dad will be able to do minimal care when you're not there. And realize that the less maintenance you guys do, the more money and time you'll have to put in in the beginning to make sure it can sustain itself for a while. Hope this helps!

Sent from my VM670 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

garyfla

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
hi
have kept ponds for many years and two problems that crop up over time in regards to stocking. A predators. for the first 5 years I' couldn't keep either GF or Koi. They were eatenlol mostly by waterbirds . Switched to tropical fish while still eaten they reproduced faster. Another aspect is that fish are designed to be inconspicuous from above . though i had several hundred fish was tough seeing them lol Switched to swords platies solved that problem got 50 different colors Freak winter of 08 wiped them out entirely. Fearing mosquitos put in some "feeder " Gf not only were they not eaten they jumped from 10 to 104 in 6 months!! have no idea how many i have now but i do see some fry BUT they are being eaten by the parents as well as dragonfly nymphs My pond is only 5x10 is WAY over loaded.
You will probably have entirely different problems in your area but these two I've never found a good answer to lol good luck with whatever you decide!!! gary

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store