Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Floating Java Moss

Discussion in 'Planted Aquariums' started by Reido Dorito, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Reido Dorito

Reido Dorito AC Members

Jan 11, 2019
    Hello!

I'm trying to find a way to add some shade to my skirt tetras' tank, and I thought I would use some java moss, since it grows like crazy, and looks pretty nice when it starts to spread out.

Anybody have any ideas on how to float it? I've heard you can use cork or styrofoam, but I'm not really sure what'll work best.

Thanks.

2. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

Today at 12:08 AM
    I'd go with something like red root floaters rather then java moss on a cork or Styrofoam. It's more aesthetically pleasing to me...& I'm on a major moss hate for the last many years; it goes & attaches everywhere.

3. dougall

dougall ...

Today at 10:30 AM
    For me it would likely depend on the size of your aquarium and the type of lighting, red root floaters do look great if the light is high enough.

There are also some plants that have big enough leaves that would fold over at the surface of your aquarium (say crypts or anubias) that would provide plenty of shade too.

to me, moss is too much work to keep clean and pruned.. and just ends up looking like it's there to facilitate fish breeding rather than for display.

4. sharon9476

sharon9476 Registered Member

Jan 5, 2019
    I'm using Duckweed

5. Reido Dorito

Reido Dorito AC Members

Jan 11, 2019
    Awesome, thanks for your suggestions! I'll look into the plants you mentioned! Those red roots look great. I just hope I can find them at the pet store; they have a knack for having a crappy floater selection, lol.

As far as anubias goes, did you mean, like, grown toward the surface? I'll have to look into some crypts too! Thanks again.

Yeah, I head duckweed was a solid thing to block light. Maybe I'll look into it. Kinda sounds like a less leafy java moss in that you can pretty much never get rid of it once you've got it. Haha!

6. dougall

dougall ...

Not all anubuas have leaves less than an inch long.. some have them 6+ inches... They work well fir fish to hide under and get shade..

Our wild bettas seem to like them for that.

7. dougall

dougall ...

If you want something small and floating, but without the hassle of duckweed if you don't want it, check into one of the azolla species.

8. Reido Dorito

Reido Dorito AC Members

Jan 11, 2019
    Oh, gotcha. My betta loves the anubias nana I've got in there, as well. I'll have to check out the other varieties you mentioned.

I'll have to look into the azollas. Thanks for the recommendation!

9. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

Today at 12:08 AM
    DO NOT get duckweed on purpose!! It's a weed that's very hard to control, don't do it!!!

If you want another idea, maybe Indian floating fern (ceratopteris cornuta) , but it can get big if not pruned regularly as can water sprite (ceratopteris thalcritoides).

I forget what tank size you have, can you say again? Maybe some lower light stem plants would be better...

10. Reido Dorito

Reido Dorito AC Members

Jan 11, 2019
    Oh my. Sounds intense. Guess I'll avoid it then, lol.

Yeah, I've heard about water sprite, but I'll have to check out the Indian water fern. Thanks for the recommendations!

Of course. It's a 20g high.