"Flora Base" vs. Flourite/etc.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by Leopardess
Personally, ......
That just goes to show personal preference is even applicable to 'dirt' :).....
Your substrate looks good!
I'm pretty much torn between the looks of Flourite, Onyx Sand, and what you have. I do think the darker substrates help enhance the colors of the fish and plants.

DIYMatt

AC Members
Oct 8, 2001
Minneapolis, MN
I too, have noticed differences in color in the Schultz's products. I had a ten that I have a Schultz's Profile Clay soils conditioner/gravel mix in it that I set about 2 1/2 years ago and the schultz's appeared more gray than your's Leopardess, and I didn't like it. Now, I have a couple of tanks now with a Schultz's/Flourite mix. The Schultz's appears much more red than the earlier ones. BTW- one was bought as "Aquatic plant soil" and the other as "clay soil conditioner". I, too, prefer more natural mixed gravel colors than Profiles.

My experience with Schultz's is that is too light at first. Recently, I have been just capping my schultz's with 1/2-1" of flourite. Otherwise lots of plants would float up and I would suck out the profile even with a very small gravel vac. But, the Schultzs seems to be very porous, which is good thing. So, over time it seems to "fill up" with organic matter or something and it ends up staying down. So, IME if you cap it with something heavy, they will mix together over time as the profile weighs down.

Its only been about 6 months with my 70/30 Schultzs/flourite tanks. But it seems to be working very well, judging by my Swords, Barclaya, and Lotuses. Much better than my Schultzs/fine gravel substrate tanks, and at least as well as my Flourite only tank. But, as we all know the substrate is only one small peice to the aquatic plant puzzle.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
well, joe, my plan is for all the plants to grow in so that you don't see it at all;):)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store