Fluorish vs Excel

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I can't even imagine what it takes to make...

In other news, I'm likely to be using some excel soon, my farm tank had it's CO2 run out, so it is now filled with hair algae.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I don't think it was difficult...but maybe a bit hazardous...I don't remember.

Good luck! Haha, I had a BIG hair algae outbreak in my crypt grow out tank (probably from dosing liquid ferts, lol) I added crushed coral to my filter & maybe some Excel, it magically killed it! But I have just a ton of dead algae to remove. The tank is not somewhere I see often...

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Making it seems to amount to some kind of alchemy... Diluting the stuff would be risky enough to me.

I'm not too worried about the algae.. worst case I convert the non-obligates to emersed where the algae can't grow (it's mostly buce to be honest) and I'm getting ready to break down a tank if crypts too. So it's just gonna be a few more shoeboxes.

The obligated can be kept in a smaller tank and dealt with by themselves. Between excel, algaecide, peroxide and shrimp it should all be ok.

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
To be honest I have used excel to control alage in one tank but never noticed it helping the plants at all. I will not use excel in most of my tanks due to concern of impact on fishes. There was a paper somewhere where they measure the actual amount of CO2 is added by excel and it isn't much - almost none at all so most of it is marketing. Also aquariumcop has a few comments on it in one of their blogs. I think it is mostly a waste of money but it does seem to help a bit with bba.
-
It is harder to judge flourish/thrive/apiwhatever/easygreen. I know in my high-tech tanks if i don't fertlize weekly the plants show some suffering in the guppy tank (low tech) I fertlize about once every 6 months and things seem fine but i don't have red plants in there and guppies being guppies surely do help the plants.

thank you all for your responses

What i was trying to ask was if my plants grow happily with Excel mostly what is the point of Fluorish? maybe I should try this time and only dose Excel and see how it goes

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store