fluval 303 external filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kev

AC Members
Feb 26, 2003
Cornwall
Visit site
After cleaning out the fluval 303 I filled it with water from the tank and connected it back up. Is this all the priming you need to do as I think this tapping/splashing sound I can hear coming from inside the filter might be an airlock. Does this make sense?
Also the middle section of the filter contains a few bags of charcoal. How long will these last?
Any help greatfully received:)

morleyz

This space for rent
Sep 26, 2002
Illinois
www.allaquatic.com
Not sure about the priming. Charcoal will usually be effective for 7-10 days (approximate)...depending on what is in the water. After that time they become a home for nitrifying bacteria and that's about it.

Aderynglas

AC Members
Feb 4, 2003
Visit site
Hi,

I have the Fluval 204 (a smaller, newer version) and find that the filter needs to be tilted and gently rocked a few times just to remove the worst of the air, you'll know its going because you'll see it coming out of the filter return pipe in the aquarium. :)
Its just one of those things Fluval should have told us about,but forgot;) ;)
By the way once you've done this the filter should be practically silent, I have to put my ear to mine to hear the tiny whisper it makes!:)
HTH

Regards
Paule

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
Originally posted by Kev
After cleaning out the fluval 303 I filled it with water from the tank and connected it back up. Is this all the priming you need to do as I think this tapping/splashing sound I can hear coming from inside the filter might be an airlock.

I had a 303 for a while (after 8 years of faithful service, lightning struck it and burned the motor up :( ). As long as water is coming out of the spraybar, you're fine. If there were an air pocket, the siphon seal would have been broken and nothing would be happening (no suction, no return). Also, the motor will rattle a little if it's got a dry spot, sounds almost like a HOB that has lost prime.

Mine made a squirting sound almost constantly, but it wasn't noticeable if the cabinet door was closed on my tank stand.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store