foggy water

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sidney

Registered Member
Nov 18, 2005
I just got a new fish tank two days ago and have four multi-coloured goldfish. I noticed this morning that the water has become slightly cloudy, not a lot, but it is noticeable. What products can be used to help it clear it up? Fish virgin.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Sidney said:
I just got a new fish tank two days ago and have four multi-coloured goldfish. I noticed this morning that the water has become slightly cloudy, not a lot, but it is noticeable. What products can be used to help it clear it up? Fish virgin.
Few questions:

What size is your tank?
What type(s) of goldfish?
What are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH)?

Your tank is probably not cycled. Please read this sticky on cycling fish tanks: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26051

General Goldfish Info:

I don't know what size tank you have, but one goldfish needs 30 gallons and you need to add another 15 gallons for each goldfish thereafter. So, to support 4 goldfish you need a 75 gallon tank.

Goldfish are very messy and generate a LOT of waste. Their tanks need to be double filtered. This means that a 75 gallon tank would need filteration for a 150 gallon tank.

Even if your goldfish are small, they still produce a lot of waste and the water will probably need to be changed every day.

Hope this helps somewhat,
Roan

Last edited:

Xielos

how I mine for fish?
Sep 13, 2005
Yep, you are definetly in for some work if you started with goldfish. Most people don't realize how big goldfish get (or that they can live for decades if properly kept). Read the sticky thread on Cycling and get a testing kit (liquid tests, not the crappy strips). Ammona and Nitrites should be at zero, nitrates no more than 40ppm, but less than say, 5 ppm, means the tank is uncycled.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store