Food and cycling a tank for betta

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

19Steve61

AC Members
Aug 19, 2017
She was only in the cup 10 days, at least from the time she entered the store until I put her in her tank. I once bought a betta that had been in a cup for 5 months. 75247331_489816621604096_1093344638854496256_n.jpg I couldn't believe it. I bought him immediately when I heard that.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yeah for live plants! You only need to have lights a total of say, 6 hours. & you can even split the time, an hour or 2 in the am while you're up for breakfast & 4 or 5 in the evening when you're home. I use cheap timers on my tanks. It's also good to have tank lights go out at least a little while before the room lights are off so she gets dusk instead of a sudden blackout.

Yeah, I'm into NFL football mostly, but we watch a bit of some other sports too. We often have to go to a sports bar at 10 am to watch our east coast team (& no, it's not NY of any kind, ever, lol).

19Steve61

AC Members
Aug 19, 2017
I know this isn't the answer, but it will do for now. The anubias weren't attached to anything, they just floated in the tank. Burying the roots didn't help either...73186049_497797700805988_8688846155523555328_n.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
That doesn't look like a long term answer. How long are the roots? Can you tuck some under the bottom edge of the ornaments. It's the "rhizome" that you want out of the substrate, but it only needs to be a little above. It's the sideways stem that both roots & leaves grow from. It might look nice shading over the umbrella.

You can also tie 1 to a smallish rock with sewing thread. It looks like the new décor has a small hole, maybe you can tuck a few roots through that with or without a rock to hold it. It seems like the heart hole might allow some access. Or even kind of have some leaves out the top & some out the heart? That might hold it & it looks rough enough that roots will attach to it, so does the pineapple...You'll just have to play around & see what works & looks good to you.

I like the dark background, your betta shows much better! Has she been checking out the plants at all yet?

19Steve61

AC Members
Aug 19, 2017
Hi Fishorama! Thanks so much for your post!

The roots on one plant are about 2 in. long. The roots on the other a little shorter. I will play around with it and see what looks best. Like you suggested, I'll likely have some leaves out the heart, and others out the top. The roots I should be able to tuck under the ornament. Yesterday, I didn't spend a lot of time on it, just tried to stuff everything in the new ornament, with as many leaves visible as possible. The small hole on the new ornament doesn't go all the way through. It is filled in on the inside.

The person at Petsmart also mentioned the rhizome. How important it is to make sure it is out of the gravel. She said that some people bury the roots, while others just let the plants float free. My plants were floating for 2 days. It looked horrible, IMO!

I have been off work all week, so I have had lots of time to watch St. Vincent. She checked out her pineapple house only once that I know of. She very slowly entered it, then after a bit emerged from the other end. The plants she checked out a couple of times. She really doesn't seem that interested in plants nor ornaments. She spends most of her day swimming at the back of her tank, from one end to the other. She also doesn't act like she is starving to death every 2 minutes! lol Most of the other bettas I've had spent the better part of their day in their house, or they were bugging me for food. lol...Not her! One meal a day and lots of swimming space is all she wants it seems! She's a real sweetie!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store