Freshwater Cycling Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Reno9499

Registered Member
Mar 23, 2020
I am restarting my freshwater cycle because didn’t work last attempt. I was unsuccessful in my cycle last attempt so I am starting over. I completely emptied aquarium from last attempt and cleaned gravel good because with last attempt levels got up there but no luck after 2 months. Now all set up and readings are as follows:
pH 8.2
Ammonia 0.25 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 5.0 ppm
We have a 10 gallon where the fish have lived for 6 months and we are upgrading to a 20 gallon. My question is can I use partial of the water that is in the 10 gallon tank they have been living in and is established to start 20 gallon and hopefully have better luck? Also if I do that what other chemicals am I going to need to have better success at completing the cycle?

Flyfisha

AC Members
Mar 23, 2020
Australia
Camera Used
iPhone iPad
Hi ,
can you please test your tap / faucet water for ammonia and nitrates?

Seeding a new tank from an old tank is easy enough. However it is not the water we use.
The bacteria live on all hard surfaces. Moving gravel or ornaments will move some bacteria.
Taking a small amount of the old dirty filter pad/ fabric/ sponge and placing it inside the new filter will also transfer bacteria. Squeezing out the dirty black filter pad/ fabric / sponge into and onto the new filter MAY help move a little bacteria as well.

Before you do any of these the standard practice is to run the new filter in the old tank beside the old filter for 3 weeks. At the end of 3 weeks moving the new filter to the new tank along with the some gravel ornaments etc as mentioned above will give you what some people call an instant cycle.

The old water has almost no bacteria in it.
However if you are retiring the small tank moving the old water will help with moving the fish as it will be no shock to them if they stay in the old water.

I realise some modern tanks make moving two filters into one difficult with the lids/ hoods etc .
We can talk you through this?

Reno9499

Registered Member
Mar 23, 2020
I tested the tap and the readings were:
pH 8.8
Nitrite 0 ppm
Ammonia 0.50 ppm
Nitrate 40 ppm

Flyfisha

AC Members
Mar 23, 2020
Australia
Camera Used
iPhone iPad
Oh dear , 40 ppm nitrates in your tap water? Honestly I am shocked. My Australian water is a mix of dark brown water from a tiny dried up riverbed and recycled sewage but by the time I get it it’s filtered to zero nitrates.
I think you will have to filter the water yourself. Many people suggest 40 ppm is a safe maximum for fish and try to keep it closer to 20 ppm before their weekly water change.
There are many kinds of filters on the market. Some will remove chlorine and a lot of the minerals fish need.
Adding minerals back is just a few teaspoons of powder for every bucket.

Perhaps you should ask another question about filtering nitrates out of tap water?

Reno9499

Registered Member
Mar 23, 2020
Yep that is a bit high but never really noticed because we have always used the water out of the fridge because it’s filtered and cold.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
How old is your test kit or what is the expiration date? Just asking in case it is outdated.

Be sure to thoroughly rinse out your test tubes and caps between testing days as sometimes residue is left over from previous tests.

Odd that your tap water tests higher than your 10G tank does so maybe you tested incorrectly?

Which water source are you using for the aquarium, tap water or filtered fridge water?

Apr 2, 2002
New York
It helps if one understands a bit of the chemistry here. Start with pure water which pretty much contains nothing but H and O (H20). After that it can contain all sorts of dissolved things, some organic and some inorganic. It can also contain Ions. Ions contribute to the conductivity/TDS of water. Both Nitrite and Nitrate in tanks are in the form of ions (so is most of the total ammonia in the form of ammonium aka NH4).

One can filter out sediment and some other dissolved solids, but the removal of ions requires a de-ionizing resin. I doubt any fridge based filter uses any form of de-ionizing resin. Most RO units do not have a de-ionizing component included unless one is specifically looking for one to be included.

Next, most kits test for Total Ammonia. This is the combination of both forms of ammonia NH3 (very toxic) and NH4 (ammonium) which is way way less harmful. The amount of each type of ammonia in a given Total Ammonia reading depends upon the pH and temperature of the water. pH is much more important here. But, the higher the pH and temp., the more of the ammonia will be in the toxic form.

At a pH of 8.8 and a temp of just 75F, a total ammonia reading of .50 ppm, the NH3 component is .1255 ppm. The red line for NH3 is at .05 ppm for most species of fw fish. Basically, the tap water described above should kill fish fairly fast.

I am guessing that the tap water is being treated with chloramine. When this breaks down, it turns into chlorine and ammonia. If one has a dechlor which also detoxifies ammonia, this is not an issue. But it can make testing inaccurate.

One last observation, different countries have different systems. One cannot assume a lot of things when a poster does not include the country information for where they live. Without that information I will usually refrain from offering solutions ot making product recommendations for dealing with problems because i jave no clue whether they might be available or not in an unknown country.

As for setting up a new tank which is being done to get a bigger one, here is what one should do when the smaller tank has been running for a while safely. Move everything that is in the 10 to the 20 and it should be safe. A bigger tank doesn't make more ammonia, adding more fish etc. does that. So if you do not increase the fish load right after the move, the new tank should be safe for your current fish.

Once the new tank has been running for a while without issues, you can begin to increase the fish load gradually. You can move about 1/2 the water in the 10 to the 20 and fill the rest with dechlorinated tap. This is done so the fish will still have a "taste" of home in the new water. It will not move any nitrifying bacteria. These are in the filter, int the substrate and on other hard surfaces, bear in mind that the bacteria are photosensitive and will be loving under stuff and where there is little or no direct light. this is why filters are not clear.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store