freshwater puffers?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

StevieM

Nov 29, 2002
lewiston, NY
Visit site
I had a little chat with my girlfriend tonight and she told me I wasn' allowed to get another tank unless I put freshwater puffers in it......"cause they are cute". So, I thought I would be a nice guy and get her into the fish thing by maybe getting her a tank of her own for XMAS with the fixins so she could have her puffers. This is a touchy subject because like so many of you I'm sure....I spend LOTS of time caring for my fish as opposed to focusing on her and I would like to get her into the hobby, to understand. If anyone has kept these fish or has info about them they could share I would be quite happy. I know from what I read before , aren't they a Brackish fish?? . I also heard there is a strictly freshwater variety. What I am most concerned about is temperment. I heard they can be agressive, what kinds of fish could mix with puffers?? Do they need a species tank?? what do they eat?? Thanks everyone in advance!

steve

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
dude,

do a search on the forums.. we had this same discussion. Check it out.

fishfreek

AC Members
Apr 8, 2002
Virginia
www.aquariumadvice.com
A few months back there was a nice write up in the FAM about freshwater puffers. It was the cover story so if you dont get Fish Aquarium Mag it might be a good trip to your local library and check a few issues back. It might have been the Oct issue maybe.

rjl420

AC Members
May 13, 2002
Temecula, CA
photos.yahoo.com
The only two freshwater puffers suitable to a community tank that I know of are Tetraodon travancoricus, the true freshwater dwarf puffer, and Colomesus asellus AKA south american puffer, among others. each of these can be trusted with tankmates.

I'm sure there are others, but these are the 2 common FW puffers that don't require a species tank. if you wanted to setup a species tank with just puffers, you could get green spotted puffers or Figure 8 puffers, but they do best in brackish water and have a tendancy to nip at other tankmates. both are fairly common.

one word of advice though. puffers are VERY sensitive to ammonia and nitrIte (it causes permanent gill damage) so it is best to put them into a cycled tank (I recommend fishless so that there isn't any danger of spikes when adding a puffer to an established tank).

BTW fishfreak-

that magazine article had WAY too much mis-information. half of the species they listed as freshwater are in fact brackish and their behavior is not quite what the listed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store