frogs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

waterspirit

Charlie don't surf...
Dec 11, 2002
Oak Grove, KY
Visit site
Just curious,

What is the consensus on the two types of frogs widely available in the aquarium trade.

African dwarf frog
African Clawed frog

Is one just a juvenile of the other or are they two different species? I had a clawed frog once and he was pretty mean, taking my neons and making them disappear, but I was interested in the dwarf frogs.

Anybody?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
While I can't gaurantee that some pet stores don't try and pawn juveniles off as dwarves, they are in fact 2 different species. The dwarves won't have the claws--very visible on a true african clawed frog. Anything bigger than about 1.5 inches would be suspicious to me.

General rule with frogs of any size: if it will fit in their mouth, they will eat it. Even the dwarves, I wouldn't trust around fish under 1 inch, though they are safe with bigger fish (like gouramies, for example). I keep my clawed frog by himself. He's not aggressive, particularly, he just will shove anything in his mouth (marbles, gravel, food, etc).

GobyGuy5

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
I've kept a dwarf frog, my experience has been that even the dwarfs will go after small fish (he tried to get my bumblebee goby!) The distinct difference between dwarf frogs and clawed frogs (besides size) is that dwarf frogs have 5 'fingers' with little small almost fingernail like black claws on the very tips, while clawed frogs have 4 big claws on their 'hands' Also clawed frogs are usually (but not always) albino

Good luck and keep 'em away from small fish!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store