Frustrated with cichlids dying

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cichlid Guy

AC Members
Aug 30, 2002
VA
This situation has happened to me now on 2 occasions. I do my usual weekly water change and at the same time I add the Seachem salts that simulate those of lake Malawi. Well, my guess is that some of the fish ingest the particles of salts that are put into the tank.The next thing I notice is that I have several going thru respiratory distress(rapid movent of the gills). The last time this happened I lost one fish.

1. How can I avoid this? (I dissolved the salts beforehand for a few minutes)
2. What can I do once I find a fish that is in distress from this?

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
I disagree. I don't think that chlorine is the problem here. Death from chlorine poisoning apparently occurs some hours or days later, IIRC.

What's the pH of the water immediately before it's added to the tank?

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
The gasping immediately following a water change sure sounds like chlorine/chloramine poisoning. I would guess the time between exposure and death would be directly related to the concentration of chlorine. Since chlorine irritates the gills and interferes with the oxygenation of blood (leading to suffocation), the concentration of chlorine would be pretty important.

I know our water levels of chloramine fluctuate, and I would guess that chlorine levels might be even more volatile. Two important factors would be the percentage of water changed and the levels of chlorine present in tap water. If chloramine is being used in water treatment, a dechloriminator is essential.

HTH,
Jim

SoulkeepeR

Social Lurker
Mar 15, 2002
Colorado Springs, CO
try adding crushed coral in the tank to stabilize the tanks PH, Africans need a really high PH and a constant one at that, if your tap comes out soft and low, then cut down on how much water you change out to avoid a rapid PH swing.

Personally I always try and just get fish compatible with my tap water, because it’s so hard and high, I keep Africans, if you try and fight it you will only run into problems. I doubt the chlorine is the problem, I never do this during a water change and they are fine, but I live in Colorado where the water is crystal clear, so I could be wrong in your case.

Just watch the ph closely, and be sure to not do to much during a water change, I would do about 20-30 % water change/gravel cleaning every 2 weeks. To make sure this is your problem, take some tank water out of your tank and fill a bucket up half way, then run the GH, KH, and PH tests, then fill up the other half of the bucket with tap water and then run the tests again and see how much they change.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store