FX4/6 owners ??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Trey Turner

AC Members
Oct 18, 2018
Dublin, Georgia
Just upgraded to a FX4. I know every ones bio load is different, but what kind of expectancy should I have for time between Filter cleanings? I've heard everything from 2 weeks to 6 months. The FX4 appears to have significant more filter area than my previous Aquatop CF500UV. I cleaned it about once every three weeks to a month. I probably could have stretched that out further I'm running a 75 gal heavily planted, heavy livestock.

Whats your opinion? More often lighter cleanings or let it reach near capacity?

february growth.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
If you use a prefilter sponge to keep dead leaves etc out you probably will only need to clean it every few months. You will need to rinse the prefilter every couple weeks but it's very quick to do. Watch for slow flow

Reactions: Trey Turner

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Thank you too, Trey. That was very nice to hear, we (us old timers) try to help based on our experiences.

Just to be clear, I don't have your filter, my comments were based planted tanks & filtration in general.

Oh, & I forgot to say your tank is very attractive!! But the stem plant needs some pruning soon! Save the pretty tops & replant them (said the woman with even more overgrown, but different, stems).

Reactions: Trey Turner

Trey Turner

AC Members
Oct 18, 2018
Dublin, Georgia
Thank you too, Trey. That was very nice to hear, we (us old timers) try to help based on our experiences.

Just to be clear, I don't have your filter, my comments were based planted tanks & filtration in general.

Oh, & I forgot to say your tank is very attractive!! But the stem plant needs some pruning soon! Save the pretty tops & replant them (said the woman with even more overgrown, but different, stems).

Just pruned them this past weekend,. Pic was on the 4th of this month. Again thanks for all your advise. Some of which you posted well before I came along and saw on older threads. I learned a lot from this forum. This pic is from tonight

20190222193358.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh, much better!! But there seems to be even more platys (or bigger?), lol. Might want to keep an eye on them & have a future plan..

Looking great!! Keep it up!

OK, just a side note...Don't you have any bottom feeders? They are my special faves be it corys or especially loaches, lol. Just my thing...

Trey Turner

AC Members
Oct 18, 2018
Dublin, Georgia
Yes I have six babies (platties)that have have come out of my vegetation. Another 2-4 (platties and mollies or maybe plollies) that are just starting to peek out.

I have two peppered Cory and a common placastomus. Two clown loaches, and a red tail shark. Yes I know not true bottom feeder but both loaches and shark nibble and root in the substrate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store