genetically enhanced fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lancerland

New Fish Fanatic
Apr 17, 2007
North side of Chicago
I was in a LFS on Tuesday buying some pearl danios, and the kid working there said if you like pearls you would love these, and he pointed me to a tank full of bright yellow danios. has anyone seen anything like this? I asked them if they were dyed because I remember reading that dyeng fish is a terrible thing, he told me that they weren't dyed, but genetically enhanced. Is this true???

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
I belive that means Hy Brid....:)

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
The fish are likely Glofish. They come in a few different colors now, afaik. They are in fact genetically modified, and not dyed, and are not hybrids. These fish are not sterile, as in the case of some hybrids, and the genes that make the fish "glow" are passed onto the offspring. Unlike dyeing fish, this process causes the fish no pain or suffering... but there are obviously other ethical issues involved in any instance of GM animals. If you only have a problem with a process like dyeing because of the suffering it causes (as well as the overall compromised health and shortened lifespan), then you may not take issue with Glofish. That's just something that you need to decide if you are considering keeping these fish.

lancerland

New Fish Fanatic
Apr 17, 2007
North side of Chicago
I wasn't considering keeping them, they actually looked really unnaturally to me, They would look really out of place in my tank. But it is good to hear that they aren't suffering like the dyed fish :)

spirals

i will eat you in your sleep
One of my neighbors has some genetically altered danios (bright pink and neon green) which just look strange to me. Even more bizarre are her tattooed fish, yeah...tattooed.
they are little balloon belly mollies which have stripes (pink and purple), blue stars, and little dots tattooed onto them.
i still can't logically figure out how they did it, but it scares me

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
Booo! to your friend!!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store