Getting a larger aquarium: substrate

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Drewbacca

AC Members
Mar 20, 2019
We’re upgrading from a 10g to a 55g soon. I’ve done a lot of reading about recommended equipment, plants, fish, etc. I’m now looking into the actual process of moving the fish over and have a question. I’ve read it can really help to cycle the new tank if you bring over the old filter for awhile as well as any inks decorations and substrate from the old tank. We have some natural colored gravel in the 10g, but I’d like to put in some black Eco Complete. Is there a way to take advantage of the old substrate without ruining the look of the new tank? I was thinking about putting the old stuff in some kind of dish temporarily so that it could be removed once the new tank has cycled. Does that sound reasonable, or should I just accept the old filter and decorations as being enough to speed things along?

Switchblayde101

AC Members
Mar 31, 2019
I think the filter by its its self will be fine because if u bring over the substrate if it's not clean it could make ur water dirty and the filter has good bacteria in it so yea move the filter over

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Assuming the filter on your 10g is a hang on back style, it probably wont fit the rim of the new 55g. Can you put the media (or some of it) from the 10g's filter into the 55g tank's filter?

In regards to your substrate question. Use a panty hose, sock or mesh bag to put the old gravel into and use that in the new 55g.

Reactions: Leocq and fishorama
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store