Getting a new 29g tank Woo Hoo, I think

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lethalp

AC Members
Jan 1, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
Hey guys, I will be aquiring a new 29 g tank in the next few days. This is a used tank that is already set up for freshwater and has a few occupants. I think she said it had a couple mollies, fancy gups and a couple plecos. Oh and I am pretty sure she said it had a beta. My question is, how should I handle things when I get it home. I am assuming we will be taking some of the water out for the trip, I doubt I could carry one full. SO how much is safe? When can I put my danios in? Currently I have 2, 2.5 g tanks with 3 danios a piece and one has a small pleco. Or should I get the tank without the fish? I am really excited, and I wanna make sure I do this right, so lay it on me! :D

morleyz

This space for rent
Sep 26, 2002
Illinois
www.allaquatic.com
Let me see if I'm getting this straight. You're getting an existing 29g fish and all? Do you know how long it's been setup? If you are confident that it's cycled here's what I'd do:

1. Transfer the fish into a styrofoam cooler or something similar for transport. Put them in there with water from the tank.
2. Make sure you drain all the water from the tank. Being it's a 29G you can probably leave everything else in the tank and safely transport it, but if you want to be on the safe side, move the gravel and decorations into a rubbermaid tub.
3. Get everything setup in your new location. Add fresh dechlorinated water at an appropriate temperature to the tank.
4. Add the "purchased fish" and give 'em a few days before you add the danios. If you didn't keep the "purchased" fish you could add your danios right away.

Like I said before, this is assuming you have a "cycled" tank on your hands. If you don't let anything dry out, you should have a fully cycled tank after you're done setting it up at home.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store