ghost shrimp turning white

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

elmj

AC Members
Jun 4, 2003
Visit site
the ghost shrimps in my tank are turning white! their body which is suppose to be see throught is slowly tunring white. it started with one shrimp and now another is. they are both still alive though. could anyone tell me what is happening? and how i can help them? any help is much appreciated! thanks :)

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
That usually happens before one of two events: death, or molting. Possibly death during molting. Make sure you have lots of hiding places, and if you have soft water, you may want to move them to a temporary tank with harder water. This is entirely my opinion, but I always had better luck getting successful molts in ghost shrimp if they had a bit of salt mix in the water--barely enough to register. I don't know if it was the salt, the higher pH, or the increased hardness/alkalinity...Or some other trace mineral in the salt mix.

famman

AC Members
Aug 16, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
most 'ghost shrimp' are collected from brackish or saltwater conditions, it would make sense that they need a tiny bit for molting. I agree with Oriongirl, sounds like molting.
good luck
:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store