Glow-in-the-UV light transgenic fishes for your LFS...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wetmanNY

AC Members
If you keep up with the science page in your newspape,r you probably know about fluorescent transgenic Zebrafish, bearing a jellyfish gene that makes them glow with an eerie green or red under UV light.

Did you know that they were shown at the trade show "Aquarama" in Singapore? They're in the pipeline, headed for your LFS...

In Taiwan, fluorescent chartreuse green Medakas (Oryzias latipes) with the jellyfish gene are also being prepped for their launch in the trade.

If you're interested in genetically modified fish, positively or negatively, check this out: http://www.ornamental-fish-int.org/genetically.htm

This development gives me the creeps personally. But genetically crippled Parrot Cichlids and hybrid Flowerhorns are being kept by otherwise quite normal folk already...

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
I remeber that,it was last year they were shown in newspapers if my memory serves,are they being sold already?Other than that,i support it,cool glowing fish.Maybe metallic discus is even better.

Wippit Guud

///\\oo//\\\
Sep 27, 2002
PEI, Canada
I'm more for modifications in a positive way than a negative... crippling is one thing, but giving them a natural color enhancer (as opposed to ink) should be a little more acceptable.

tuthelimit

Renewed Member
May 19, 2002
Charleston, SC
My old biology professor at James Madison University works with transgenic african clawed frogs. I have seen them and must say it is quiet amazing.

The two that I can remember have proteins that glow 1) throught their entire body and 2) Just in their brains.

They are sort of creepy looking, but the animal is not affected in a possitive or negative way. The research is wonderful as well, scientist can id specific genes in more and more creatures. Maybe we will have glow in the UV people!!! Haha

Wippit Guud

///\\oo//\\\
Sep 27, 2002
PEI, Canada
That might not be much of a joke, I can see people getting stuff injected into them for glow-in-the-dark tattoos... or eyes!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store