Goldfish Babies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
For those of you following the exploits of Sprocket (that rascal!), another chapter unfolds. Very soon after his arrival at his new home with my other goldies, Sprocket (that rascal!) caught the fancy of my dear, sweet -- and formerly innocent -- calico fantail, Cassandra. Yes, she's spawned.

I noticed their wildly frantic amorous behavior, but didn't think THAT was going to happen. I'd always heard you had to do certain things in a certain way to get them to breed. But the next day, sure enough... I found literally thousands of eggs scattered all over everywhere. I did the best I could throughout Day #2 (in egg years) to collect as many as I could. I managed to save hundreds of them. Many hundreds, I'm sure. It was impossible to count them all.

This thread isn't going to be all that informative. And it won't be well documented with great photos showing whatever progress or failures are in store for us. But I'll still post updates to let you all know how it's going.

These are rather hard to see, but I wanted to start off with something, at least, to show the eggs we're starting out with.

day2a.jpg day2b.jpg day2c.jpg day2d.jpg day2e.jpg

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Day 3 Update

It's Day 3 now and I still have well over 200 goldfish eggs that still look good. I couldn't guess how many I started with and still can't count them all now. I removed about 50 of them yesterday that had turned white, using a long medicine dropper. Today, I expected half of them would be white, but I only had to remove about a dozen of them. I really expected half to 2/3 of these would get fungussy (?) each progressing day because I don't have any of that blue stuff to add to their water. Couldn't find any locally either. I'm keeping the water as clear and fresh as possible.. changing it with new tank water 3-4 times a day. Hoping this will stave off fungus as much as possible. Still.. 200+ eggs is still way too many after three days. Some of these things might actually hatch.

Another blurry egg shot. They've darkened a little and the eyes and spines are quite visible in most of the eggs already. (Not that you can tell from today's picture.)

day3.jpg

crimsonmoon

Gotta love those cories...
Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
how exciting!! lol sprocket sounds like a handful :naughty:

faun

AC Members
Feb 25, 2008
Norwich, England
Sprocket is such a good looking boy no wonder all the ladies can't resist him! Congrats on the unexpected spawn bet the babies will be gorgeous.

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
Whoever knew Sprocket was a love god? :naughty:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store