Goldfish Filter adivce

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Yotan

Registered Member
Nov 30, 2021
So I have a 60 gallon low tank I used to use for saltwater but ever since I moved I didn't want to go thru the headache again of saltwater so originally I wanted to get like 2 or 3 goldfish to put into the tank and call it a day... something easy and fun to enjoy and cost efficient.

However when I went to my local petco someone disassembled their pond and donated all these goldfish. I took 2 at first but as the weeks progressed nobody was buying these huge goldfish and they were getting worse and worse. Not moving, super lethargic and not eating. I took pity on them and ended up getting all of them within a 3 week time frame
Every week I would get some of them.

I know my tank isn't a pond and is definitely overcrowded but I would like some tips on my filtration to help combat the large Bioload so far My tank is
Barebottom with
2 penguin 350 HOB
1 Fx6 Cansiter
And a aquatop fz9 uv cansiter filter

I have a pothos plant in the back of one of my HOB plan on getting more also have lava rock in my HOB to help with the biological filtration as well as in the cansiters.

Screenshot_20211130-124926_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211130-124930_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211130-124937_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211130-124946_Gallery.jpg

20211126_175312.jpg

20211126_175321.jpg

20211128_000952.jpg

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Seeing as theyre all single tails... hoo boy.

Single tailed goldfish (commons and comets) need 100 gallons to start for ONE. And then an additional 50 gallons for every one after. They're way more active than fancies. Counting out yours, I can already say you are looking at a tank at well over 400 gallons.

This will actually be way more work than just looking for easy. Nitrates will be Sky high even with pothos since goldfish aren't kind to most plants. Filtration is good, but it doesn't reduce the nitrates. But will definitely keep the poop minimal. Goldfish are messy fish lol.

Honestly, I would work on finding homes for all of these, since they were languishing at the store I wouldn't recommend returning them. But listing them for sale for ponds would be kinder to them.

Also they will eat those couple of tetras in there for breakfast. Not good tankmate choices.

Look to keep 2 fancy goldfish instead, or small community fish.

Don't mean to be a downer, but just my two cents for you with goldfish.

Reactions: dudley

Yotan

Registered Member
Nov 30, 2021

Single tailed goldfish (commons and comets) need 100 gallons to start for ONE. And then an additional 50 gallons for every one after. They're way more active than fancies. Counting out yours, I can already say you are looking at a tank at well over 400 gallons.

This will actually be way more work than just looking for easy. Nitrates will be Sky high even with pothos since goldfish aren't kind to most plants. Filtration is good, but it doesn't reduce the nitrates. But will definitely keep the poop minimal. Goldfish are messy fish lol.

Honestly, I would work on finding homes for all of these, since they were languishing at the store I wouldn't recommend returning them. But listing them for sale for ponds would be kinder to them.

Also they will eat those couple of tetras in there for breakfast. Not good tankmate choices.

Tetras were kinda forced onto me, buddy who had the tetras was gonna flush them cause he was over fishkeeping so far they've all been together for 2 weeks and no issues

Yotan

Registered Member
Nov 30, 2021

And I understand a bigger tank would be better but I'm gonna have to disagree with you on the 100 gallon for goldfish. For optimal conditions yeah sure 1,000 gallons of water per neon tetra is what everyone wants but unfortunately housing has limitations and the max size I can do is what I have. But with adequate filtration and water changes I don't see it being a huge problem. Granted how do the elderly people in nursing homes I've worked in have like 10 big goldfish in a 55 gallon for 10+ years.?

But i plan on working on a pool pond I'm going to hide in my garage for them.

Just wanted to ask of there's anything else I can do filtration wise to help out the Bioload

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Until then you should plan on many very large water changes. Large fish = high nitrate. Filters only remove the "bits" or with goldies, big strings of poo. No amount of filters will remove nitrate. The pothos will help only a tiny bit but really you want to keep them as low as you can. I shoot for under 20ppm (not GF tanks), you might more realistically try for 40ppm. Over 80ppm & it can harm fish health. Watch for frayed fins or other signs of disease...& change more water & more often...& test to see if you're doing enough. You may need to change 50-80% 3x/week (or more) but unless you test you can't know. Looking "ok" is not good enough.

Those people with very overstocked tanks have very stunted fish with "old tank syndrome" very high nitrate level. You can do better than that or what's the point of "rescuing" the fish? Sorry, I know that was harsh & you mean well. I truly do wish you good luck

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Sorry if I missed it, but what is the footprint of that tank? Is it 6 feet long? Very cool looking tank and nice looking common and maybe comet mix there. They'd probably be happier with a very fine gravel layer to sift through to occupy them, but I hear you on bare bottomed being cleaner looking.

I kept a pair of comets and some fancys in a 55gal for a couple of years. I didn't plan it, it just sort of happened with carnival won fish. I didn't find them to be a messy fish at all given they constantly root through the substrate, breaking up waste and sending it to the filters. I'd still have them if it were not for that tank developing a massive leak. I did one ~80% weekly water change to that tank and fed foods lightly w/ quality ingredients. I re-homed all the goldies to a family member's private/secluded huge pond when the tank leaked.

Feed them only foods with whole plant and proteins in the first 3-4 ingredients. The lack of fillers and garbage will help keep your water cleaner.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store