• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Got my 75 gallon now what to put in.

Ian h

AC Members
Hey all! So I got my 75 gallon 48x18x12 and am looking for ideas on substrate and what to add to it. I
am going to be putting my Yoyo loaches in it when it's up and running.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Do yoyo's prefer a finer substrate? Plans for other fish or plants?

In two of my tanks I have a very fine natural gravel I got at Petsmart under the National Geograhic brand if I recall correctly. I really like this substrate. Fine enough for corys to sift through, yet not sand like at all. I do like sand, just don't like the filtration challenges it always poses.

Ian h

AC Members
They love the substrate I am using now (fluval stratum) but I need ideas for tank mates lol

fishorama

AC Members
More yoyos!

I haven't used Fluval Stratum but it sounds a lot like Eco Complete that I have had for many years. It ok for loaches, even small species. If you like the color you could use it. I like darker substrate. I have used pool filter sand several times. I don't like the white color, it shows everything & needs a bit of practice to clean. It is cheap but doesn't do anything to help plants.

I haven't kept yoyos but I'd think denisonii barbs (roseline sharks) might work. They're beautiful! & probably too big for the yoyos to bother. I loved mine & will have them again. They, like yoyos, want a group of at least 5 or 6.

fishorama

AC Members
Great minds & all that, Ian, lol. Roselines are kind of pricy & a bit nervous at times, keep a lid on your tank. We only had 1 jump out once when we had a new "fish sitter". I think it was just startled by a new person too up close. She just picked it up & put it back, it was fine.

I'm not sure what other fish might be ok with yoyos. Nothing small, but those 2 species would just about be enough IMO. Maybe a single blue gourami. They can be almost semi-aggressive, I almost never recommend them. I vastly prefer pearl gouramis, but I'm not sure about 1 with yoyos. My judgement is clouded by skunk loaches, much more than just semi-aggressive to 4-6 inch CA cichlids back in the day. I know yoyos aren't they same...& neither are gouramis. Just a thought...Research if either sound interesting to you.

Will you have plants? Java ferns & anubias are very easy & are attached to wood or rocks. Have at least 2 or 3 loach hiding areas. I've never had loaches bother those... & they might help with roselines & gourami possible nervousness when the loaches cruise up & down the tank sides. That's why you want several loaches, there's nothing like a group of happy dancing loaches :cool: (sigh, I miss my botias!).

Ian h

AC Members
I have been looking at ideas for a couple of hours lol I am thinking either gouramis or rainbow fish. My thought is 5 yoyo's, either oto's or 2 whiptail cats with 1 or 2 schools of colourful fish up top! Yeah I am planning on 2 anubias and 2 java fern aswell. How do you attach them to driftwood? I never checked into that.
I'm going to my LFS tomorrow to check ideas aswell as pick up a few fish for my other 2 tanks.
Any suggestions?

Last edited:

fishorama

AC Members
Sewing thread or super glue gel is the right choice to attach java ferns or anubias, I've only used thread...

You know, I'm not a super fan of big rainbowfish. That whole "big salmon" "big forehead thing" is not appealing to me...& I'm not sure you have room for a shoal of yoyos, roselines & rainbows. Rainbows are way less than roselines to me...but you may disagree. Turquoise rainbows are very pretty in spite of the "spawning salmon head" thing...better than a single gourami? Yeah, I don't think so...lol.

I think otos &/or whiptails are too whimpy to stand up to yoyos...but like I said I haven't kept yoyos...or whiptails. Otos are in the "too small fish" category to me, as much as like them, I don't think that would be a good mix...Maybe a lone BN pleco, but you'd need an extra hiding spot or 2 (wood or rocks), for a total of 5, at least? Loaches & plecos really understand the territory thing but don't push it too hard.

Keep looking...

Ian h

AC Members
Yeah so far my Yoyo's are pretty good with the Oto's I have with them a BN pleco is a great idea!
I kept laughing out loud with your "Big Salmon, Big Forehead" lol The only thing with gourami's is my yoyo's may nip at the hanging fin.

I will take a look tomorrow at my LFS and see what may catch my eye.
Thanks for the ideas! :)

fishorama

AC Members
Look, but don't buy just yet. You're on the cusp of an awesome tank! Don't F! it up now. I believe your yoyos are quite small to their 6+ inch potential....+ more friends too, yes? & then there's the possibility of a "pack" mentality...Go slowly my friend! Impulse buys are almost always a mistake. Think hard before you buy!! Listen & research more.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store