Got my 75 gallon now what to put in.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ian h

AC Members
Jan 14, 2019
Hey all! So I got my 75 gallon 48x18x12 and am looking for ideas on substrate and what to add to it. I
am going to be putting my Yoyo loaches in it when it's up and running.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Do yoyo's prefer a finer substrate? Plans for other fish or plants?

In two of my tanks I have a very fine natural gravel I got at Petsmart under the National Geograhic brand if I recall correctly. I really like this substrate. Fine enough for corys to sift through, yet not sand like at all. I do like sand, just don't like the filtration challenges it always poses.

Ian h

AC Members
Jan 14, 2019
They love the substrate I am using now (fluval stratum) but I need ideas for tank mates lol

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
More yoyos!

I haven't used Fluval Stratum but it sounds a lot like Eco Complete that I have had for many years. It ok for loaches, even small species. If you like the color you could use it. I like darker substrate. I have used pool filter sand several times. I don't like the white color, it shows everything & needs a bit of practice to clean. It is cheap but doesn't do anything to help plants.

I haven't kept yoyos but I'd think denisonii barbs (roseline sharks) might work. They're beautiful! & probably too big for the yoyos to bother. I loved mine & will have them again. They, like yoyos, want a group of at least 5 or 6.

Ian h

AC Members
Jan 14, 2019
I was just looking at Roseline Sharks lol. That for sure is on the top of my list!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Great minds & all that, Ian, lol. Roselines are kind of pricy & a bit nervous at times, keep a lid on your tank. We only had 1 jump out once when we had a new "fish sitter". I think it was just startled by a new person too up close. She just picked it up & put it back, it was fine.

I'm not sure what other fish might be ok with yoyos. Nothing small, but those 2 species would just about be enough IMO. Maybe a single blue gourami. They can be almost semi-aggressive, I almost never recommend them. I vastly prefer pearl gouramis, but I'm not sure about 1 with yoyos. My judgement is clouded by skunk loaches, much more than just semi-aggressive to 4-6 inch CA cichlids back in the day. I know yoyos aren't they same...& neither are gouramis. Just a thought...Research if either sound interesting to you.

Will you have plants? Java ferns & anubias are very easy & are attached to wood or rocks. Have at least 2 or 3 loach hiding areas. I've never had loaches bother those... & they might help with roselines & gourami possible nervousness when the loaches cruise up & down the tank sides. That's why you want several loaches, there's nothing like a group of happy dancing loaches :cool: (sigh, I miss my botias!).

Ian h

AC Members
Jan 14, 2019
I have been looking at ideas for a couple of hours lol I am thinking either gouramis or rainbow fish. My thought is 5 yoyo's, either oto's or 2 whiptail cats with 1 or 2 schools of colourful fish up top! Yeah I am planning on 2 anubias and 2 java fern aswell. How do you attach them to driftwood? I never checked into that.
I'm going to my LFS tomorrow to check ideas aswell as pick up a few fish for my other 2 tanks.
Any suggestions?

Last edited:

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Sewing thread or super glue gel is the right choice to attach java ferns or anubias, I've only used thread...

You know, I'm not a super fan of big rainbowfish. That whole "big salmon" "big forehead thing" is not appealing to me...& I'm not sure you have room for a shoal of yoyos, roselines & rainbows. Rainbows are way less than roselines to me...but you may disagree. Turquoise rainbows are very pretty in spite of the "spawning salmon head" thing...better than a single gourami? Yeah, I don't think so...lol.

I think otos &/or whiptails are too whimpy to stand up to yoyos...but like I said I haven't kept yoyos...or whiptails. Otos are in the "too small fish" category to me, as much as like them, I don't think that would be a good mix...Maybe a lone BN pleco, but you'd need an extra hiding spot or 2 (wood or rocks), for a total of 5, at least? Loaches & plecos really understand the territory thing but don't push it too hard.

Keep looking...

Ian h

AC Members
Jan 14, 2019
Yeah so far my Yoyo's are pretty good with the Oto's I have with them a BN pleco is a great idea!
I kept laughing out loud with your "Big Salmon, Big Forehead" lol The only thing with gourami's is my yoyo's may nip at the hanging fin.

I will take a look tomorrow at my LFS and see what may catch my eye.
Thanks for the ideas! :)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Look, but don't buy just yet. You're on the cusp of an awesome tank! Don't F! it up now. I believe your yoyos are quite small to their 6+ inch potential....+ more friends too, yes? & then there's the possibility of a "pack" mentality...Go slowly my friend! Impulse buys are almost always a mistake. Think hard before you buy!! Listen & research more.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store