Got my 75 gallon now what to put in.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ian h

AC Members
Jan 14, 2019
I am going with Roselines(5or6), Rainbows and my Yoyo's But was just curious what others have or suggest lol Yea I like the BN ! I am looking at my LFS's to see if they got them in. I might go a bit further away(45min-1hr) to see if they have a nice BN. I wanted this one .

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I think I'd be wary of keeping long finned fish with yoyos. They might be too tempting to ignore & stick out from any hiding areas. Females don't get the red head spot or very many (short) bristles. But males hide more, they're the egg & fry caregivers. The females just visit the male's chosen spot, lay eggs & go on their merry way, lol.

BNs do have pectoral spines so they can defend themselves a bit. That male in your pic looks like the bottom pectoral spine has been shortened compared to the top 1. The snout bristles aren't very hard, more decorative than defensive.

But my female L-144 is that pretty gold color, as opposed to brown or pinkish white albino BNs. (L-144s males get much longer, rounder noses) If you get a small 1 you likely won't be able to sex it. How big are your yoyos? That "may" matter, sometimes small fish learn to ignore each other as juveniles that can carry over into adults...but not always. Think of small angels with their natural food, neons. It "may" work...or not. You'll have mostly Asian fish, but BNs are SA...they may have different "body language" as SA & African cichlid do...I just don't know. I have kept both BN & otos with much smaller, mellower loaches (striatas, sidthimunkis & pangios).

Ian h

AC Members
Jan 14, 2019
My yoyos are still just about 2", I am looking for a BN at my LFS's to see if they have one about 1-2" . My yoyo's where great with the small Cory's in the other tank. One of them has a long fin. I "may be" ok with the Yoyo's but yea I think a normal BN might be the better choice.

I might try and go to a couple tomorrow if my buddy wants to drive my ass lol

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
This is where clubs can be good. I was given a group of L-144 fry. As they outgrew the tank, I gifted 2 pairs to a friend & kept 1 small female I still have. He bred them once or twice & passed them on.

I'm sorry, I didn't understand your lack of a car. It's like that here for some "city folks". They (you) can be a PITA at times, lol. Be patient & offer buy lunch, I always appreciate that...or some $ for gas or tolls. Yeah, I'm the driver often....

You don't need to hurry into a "full tank stocking"...take your time....

Ian h

AC Members
Jan 14, 2019
Hahahaha yea I offered lunch for him and his girlfriend. It all depends on when they get off work.

I am going to take my time on this stocking. Right now I can get Roselines for $7.50each so I am going to try and grab a few if I can.

Ian h

AC Members
Jan 14, 2019
Update : Got 2 more yoyo's, 4 Roseline barbs(getting more) and a beautiful L205 pleco :)

IMG_20190406_153304_097.jpg

Ian h

AC Members
Jan 14, 2019
hahaha blurry Yoyo was on special ;). The Red rainbows have adopted the roselines and one of my yoyo's. Its crazy to watch a Yoyo eat midwater lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store