Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Gourami

Discussion in 'General Freshwater' started by Claire Vaughan, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Claire Vaughan

Claire Vaughan AC Members

Laura
    Yesterday at 10:21 PM
    Laura
    Hello again. I've been away for a while, but back and need advise.
    I have a blue dwarf Gourami. It's about 2 years old. It has started to bloat, especially on its right side. It looks like it could rupture. It is eating, but has isolated itself and not swimming around much. The ammonia level was a little high and I have done changes to get it down to normal. I have given peas, but that hasn't helped so far.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks, Claire

#1 Claire Vaughan, Nov 4, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  2. enrique4jc

enrique4jc AC Members

Eric
    Today at 10:50 AM
    Eric
    If you think the fish is going to rupture, I'd advise moving into a QT if at all possible to avoid possible complications with tank mates. Other than that, I'm not great with that stuff. Give it time to run its course and be ready to euthanize if it gets too rough.

3. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

Yesterday at 11:03 PM
    Lopsided "bloat" is a bad sign, I'm sorry. Ammonia in any amount is harmful, but shouldn't cause that issue IME.

Change lots of water as often as you can. As long as it's eating (& pooping?) there's hope. But with the commercially farm bred fish, 2 or 3 years may be the best you can do.

Have you considered worming with something like flubendazole? That might be a next step, but get the ammonia to 0 soonest.

Tell us more about your tank...size? fish? other parameters? Water changes?

4. authmal

authmal Pseudonovice

Today at 11:20 AM
    Things like temp, current ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings, pH. Frequency and quantity (in percentage, roughly) of water changes. These details will help paint a picture and diagnose the issue.

5. Claire Vaughan

Laura
    Laura

I have a 125 gallon. Water parameters have been stable for a long time, until this recent check. All other parameters are stable. PH is always high at 8.2. Nitrite and Nitrate are ok. I do 1/4-1/2 water changes weekly and full maintenance monthly. I have a 12" pleco. 3 angelfish, 5 rainbows, 5 leopard danios, 5 rummy nose tetras, 14 corys, 5 loaches.

6. Claire Vaughan

Laura
    Laura
    I have a 125 gallon. Water parameters have been stable for a long time, until this recent check. All other parameters are stable. PH is always high at 8.2. Nitrite and Nitrate are ok. I do 1/4-1/2 water changes weekly and full maintenance monthly. I have done three water changes the past three days.
    I have a 12" sailfin pleco. 3 angelfish, 5 rainbows, 5 leopard danios, 5 rummy nose tetras, 14 corys, 5 yo-yo loaches.
    What causes lopsided bloat? Or is it gourami thing. I know there have been issues with these beautiful fish.

#6 Claire Vaughan, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  7. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

Yesterday at 11:03 PM
    Sounds like a nice tank!

There are some diseases that seem to affect gouramis & bettas especially. Bloat can be 1 of the signs...but lopsided seems more serious to me. I can't think of what the "gourami" disease is ATM, a virus? OrionGirl knows I think, hopefully she'll chime in. I don't know that there is a treatment :( IF that's what yours has.

Water changes are always my first action when a fish shows signs of a problem. Frequent & large 1s. I know it'll be a PITA on a big tank like yours, but any ammonia is concerning in an established tank.

I'm also a loach lover & IME they can carry internal parasites. Maybe at low levels that don't show signs in healthy fish but if your gourami was, say, rammed by an angel, it could add to the problem. Do your angels bother or fight with the dwarf? They often don't get along well as the angels grow to adults.

8. OrionGirl

OrionGirl No freelancing!

Sheila
    Today at 3:50 PM
    Sheila
    Gouramies get 'dwarf gouramie disease'---it's a viral infection with no known cure. I'm not sure I buy into it being viral, rather suspect it's systemic failure because I've only heard of it in tandem with water quality issues. But bloat isn't a common symptom, it's usually darkening/streaking in fins that shows up first.

What's the diet?

9. FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh Global Moderator
    Staff Member

Joel
    Yesterday at 7:26 PM
    Joel
    Yep. Just to add to the great info above, I've never had good luck with any variety of dwarf gourami, with the exception of a female DG I kept for a few years. She was a colorless little thing that I ultimately gave away with some other fish that she was in with.

The DG's I failed with met similar fates to what you describe. :(

Claire Vaughan likes this.
  10. forse

forse Registered Member

Enrique
    Friday at 10:39 PM
    Enrique
    Have you tried Epsom salt? A tablespoon for every 5 gals helped me to save a cichlid once. It is better to use a small hospital tank.