Green spotted Puffer Stressed?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Trouty

AC Members
Mar 11, 2003
Visit site
Hi All, I was wondering if you could help me. I have a green spotted puffer which has been really stressed in the last week or so. I have no idea why this is the case. I changed the water and that didn't work. I'm lost ad I decided to just put him in a hospital tank as he could be suffering from something that I can't see. His white creamy bottom has a few spots with a dark gray/black tone and there are two spots, pitch black in color that are located on both the left and right sides of his mouth. I've always use that as an indicator for stress and this time, it doesn't seem to be working. He's always been in good health until now. I can't seem to figure out what's wrong with him... Would appreciate any suggestions.

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
did you cycle your tank, what's your salt level? Do you treat your water accordingly? We need your water parameters before we can help. Also does he have the appropriate hiding spots and places to explore?

I myself have a gsp and he gets stressed like you say when anything happens not to his liking. If the lights are on for too long, he gets stressed. If the bubbles are off for more than a minute, he gets stressed. make sure that his water is a close to home for him as possible and he won't get so stressed.

Trouty

AC Members
Mar 11, 2003
Visit site
I had my GSP for over a year now and I've basically used the same technique during water changes. I use about 2 teaspoons per 1.5 gallons of water during water changes. 've checked ammonia, nitrate, and nitritre and all levels are perfect... He's never been like this before. He's also really sluggish now. He's on a hospital tank so I have no hiding place for him in that tank... I don't know what his problem is...

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
That doesn't sound like nearly enough salt. Get a hydrometer & slowly raise the specific gravity to 1.010. How is his appetite? What are you feeding? How large is he & the tank? Who are his tankmates?

Trouty

AC Members
Mar 11, 2003
Visit site
I will try to inscrease the salt levels slowly. Right now he is all alone in a 10 gal hospital tank. He was doing much better here than in the 30 gallon he was originally living in. His tank mates are two plecostamus. I feed him frozen blood worms and brine shrimp. He was eating fine for the past three days, but his appetite changed somewhat on Saturday and Sunday...

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
If he's 2", he's probably ready for some higher salt levels. Use marine salt. The plecos won't like it. I hope that perks him up.:)

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
I doesn't really matter, I use Instant Ocean or whatever is cheapest. As long as it is for SW aquariums.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store