Greg's Return to Salt

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
I either get my supplies from MarineDepot or at the LFS I work at. I got my tank, lighting, sand, and livestock at the LFS but most of the other equipment like return pump/closed loop pump, skimmer, phosban reactor, media from MarineDepot.

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
LFS = Local Fish Store
Never mind me, I'm still learning the jargon. :help: I only know of one here that might carry the stuff but they are a high dollar store. I may be able to find some new ones that aren't listed.

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
Well, everything is now home. It's a standard 55 gal tank. It is very dirty so a good cleaning is in order, for sure. Photos to follow as I unpack everything. Some things I'll have to ask you to help identify and tell me if I should use this stuff or chage out to something better.

Stay Tuned!!

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
Well, folks, I got the stuff sort of sorted out and here are some photo of the stuff I picked up. I may not have gotten a good deal after all. $200.00 First thing I have to do is get the aquarium unstuck from the base. The guy painted the base cabinet and then set the aquarium on before the paint was completely dry.

Photos are:
1. The bottom gravel, about 3 gallons
2. 200 Watt heater
3. Dirty tank 1
4. Dirty tank 2
5. two hang over the back filters. I'd like to change from these. Suggestions?
6. Hydrometer
7. One 402 power head. Should I change this or just add another?
8. Instant Ocean Marine Salt mix. full bag and a partial.
9. Misc. Lava rock and that UN-GODLY painted artificial crap.

I think I need to figure out a better way of including photos. :help:

BottomMedia.jpg 200wHeater.jpg Dirty-Tank-01.jpg Dirty-Tank-02.jpg Filters-01.jpg Hydrometer.jpg Powerhead.jpg Salt-Mix.jpg Misc-Lava-and-Art-Rock.jpg

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
Well, I guess I'm talking to myself and walking myself through this stuff. So here we go...

1. The bottom media might be nice to have but I thin I need more.
2. The 200 watt heater may or may not be enough, only testing will tell.
3 & 4. Well, I've decided to go with the strong bleach and run it in then go from there. The tank was so dirty and it looks like it was once a fresh water set up, so I want to kill everything. One good thing, there are no leaks! I got lucky.
5. I figured this out, they are Marineland Emperor 280's, Should be good to get this thing set up and running. 560 GPH turnover rate total.
6. Will be replacing this with a refactory.
7. The power head, IS IT BIG ENOUGH?
8. Will use to cycle the system
9. Not at all sure of this.

brackeeper75

Slave To The Fishes!
Feb 23, 2008
Kissimmee, Florida
www.scotts-place.com
I would not use the Crushed coral type of substrate(bottom gravel) it will do nothing for you but raise the nitrates. Go with an aquarium sand sugar sized it looks more natural and will be more beneficial in the end

Buy live rock it will pay off, I promise!
If you use live rock you can just use some power heads and a good skimmer for filtration, you will not need those filers.

Are you keeping corals or just fish?
Any other questions?

Gangstafish

gangstafish
Dec 10, 2006
long IslandNY
For future reference do you have a Petsmart near you? If you do ditch the heater,and go online to Petsmart.com and print out the stealth 200 watt heater for $20.00. Go to Petsmart with printout and they will match their online price in the store. Same with salt. Are you going Reef or Fish Only With Liverock? Those filters could be used. In saltwater you need filtration that can turn the tank over 10x an hour. My suggestion is get your hands on as much info you can and read. It's alot different than it was thirty years ago. i know I am from that era. It's alot easier to keep the animals alive now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store