Group of 3 discus fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Neptune555

AC Members
Nov 18, 2013
I currently have a 15 year old 50 gallon planted freshwater tank. I am thinking of adding 3 discus to my tank. Here are my questions:

I have all fish that should be OK with a discus.. but they add to the bioload of my tank so I don't think I can have the preferred 5 discus? I have 3 clown loaches / Betta / one blue pygmy gourami / 3 black mollies / ONE ghost knife fish. I have heard nothing about the capmatability with a knife fish but he never seems to bother anybody?

Why so many water changes? My tank has 2 HOB FLuval 70 gallon filters on it. I would consider adding a canister filter to aid with filtration and circulation. I will do 20% water change every 4 weeks. Thoughts / suggestions?

thanks!
Neptune

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Please don't take this the wrong way, it is only intended to explain and help your fish (and you). Compatibility is not the issue as much as space, here. A 50g is not sufficient space for a Black Ghost Knifefish; this fish attains 20+ inches and being inflexible must have a tank that is wider that this, and three times the length, so it can turn around. And the clown loaches require more space, given their eventual size (if healthy) of 12 inches with some reports suggesting 16 inches possible. I would not recommend adding any discus, or any other fish, to a 50g with these issues facing you.

Then there are weater parameter problems. Molly must have hard water, but this is opposite to the loaches, knifefish and discus.

And more filters does not mean better quality water. A filter, any filtration, is limited in what it can achieve, and more does not compensate. Filters cannot remove pheromones, allomones, liquid waste, TDS...all of which impact on fish, and when there is stress from the issues this is magnified. Only water changes can deal with these substances; water changes of at least half the tank every week are what you should be doing with this present stocking.

Looking to the future, with a 6-foot tank, the discus would be compatible with the knifefish and loaches. The BGK occurs naturally with angelfish; I'm not certain if it is found with discus, would have to dig a bit for this. But as the environment of angelfish and discus is much the same, I would not expect trouble. Both also like dim lighting; bright lighting will stress out a BGK quite substantially.

Hope this is of some help.

Byron.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
Byron made some very good points, to which I'd like to add:
I'll repeat - your tank is too small, given that it's planted, has those tank-mates in it, and the bio-load will be too high.
There is a compatibility problem as well, both with the tank-mates and the number of discus you're planning on.
GKF and Clown Loaches are unacceptable tank-mates for discus. They grow too large, may tend to be aggressive, and may outcompete the discus for food. As well, Clown Loaches are very active, fast-swimming fish that can startle discus & stress them.
Also, as you know, keeping 2, 3, or 4 discus is not a good number, and is an invitation for pecking order/bullying aggression issues.
Get yourself a larger tank, get at least 5 discus of a decent size, and be prepared for larger, more frequent wcs to avoid stunting & health issues.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
GKF and Clown Loaches are unacceptable tank-mates for discus. They grow too large, may tend to be aggressive, and may outcompete the discus for food. As well, Clown Loaches are very active, fast-swimming fish that can startle discus & stress them.
I agree. Sorry I passed over this so quickly, should have given my post a second read.:nono:

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Not to pile on, but 20% water changes/month are not enough to maintain water quality for all but the most heavily planted, lowest bioload (fish population mass) of tanks. 20% a week is less than I, & many other experienced aquarists, consider a minimum for fish & tank health. There are loaches, but not clowns, that would work in a 50g, but as Byron said, you have fish with very different requirements now & in the future. Time for a do-over, but ask us first, lol, we'd love to help you have a wonderful, compatible, healthy tank, let us help!

tonytheboss1

AC Members
May 16, 2006
N.Y.C.
Real Name
TONY
As others have stated, adding to your present tank is not a good idea. Consider a slightly larger setup just for the discus. 55/75g w/ 5 or more would be a good start. Pristine water conditions are quite necessary for discus to thrive. Thus frequent water changes are gonna become second nature. Juvies need more than adults to maximize growth along with a well rounded diet of multiple feedings. You mentioned 15 years so its not a question of experience w/ aquarium fish but one of specialized adjustment. Discus need a little extra to maximize their extraordinary beauty. "T"

tonytheboss1

AC Members
May 16, 2006
N.Y.C.
Real Name
TONY
Thanx Paul!! They're from Hans. I need to take more pics but been sooooo busy. "T"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store