gt-what should i do?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mosammy121

i am a fish!!smell me??
Nov 1, 2001
ok-my gt won't let my carpenti out much so i'm looking to give'em away soon but i'd like to have another cichlid.
my tank is 90g and pretty overstocked w/targets and some oddballs (ropefish,birchir,g.danios and silver dollars)i'd like to keep 2 cichlids in the tank but i'm worried that my gt might kill anything else i put in.which brings me to my first question-
will a breeding pair of gt kill my non-cichlid tankmates?if so would adding a cichlid bigger than him be a better option?

oh!! the carpenti is alot smaller than my gt

carpenti=5"s gt close 9"s

spartyblaze

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
My advice would be to choose between cichlids and community fish.... a 90 g should be large enough to house a few gt's but at 9" you are talking about a pretty large fish. Just a question, when you say 'overstocked,' what do you mean - how large are the targets, etc. that you have in with your gt?

IMO it is always better to keep a tank understocked, especiallly if you are mixing fishes that don't come from the same atmosphere.

mosammy121

i am a fish!!smell me??
Nov 1, 2001
well i am overstocked but my tanks are very well maintaned on the tank right now i have an emp 400 and a AC 500 that's 900gph
and thats w/weekly water changes and vac(i have lots of time on my hands lol)

here's what i have-some will stay some will go

2=afr.ropefish
2=p.senegalus
6=asst. silver dollars
2=exodon tetras (mean as he/l/l)
6=giant danios
1=bgk (4yrs old and stopped growing at 7"s)
1=common pleco
2=s.algea eater
1=gt
1=carpenti

Cypherman

All about Aulonocara!
Apr 3, 2002
Buffalo, NY
Well filtration and space-wise, you're not overstocked (assuming all of your fish arent at their max sizes that is), but yea, I would cut it down a bit...I would get rid of the BGK, bichirs, ropefish, and maybe the exodons. You might be able to keep the carpinte, depending on your fish's temperament (I've never lost a fish to my GT's being aggressive during spawning, but that's just mine). With the cichlids, silver dollars, exodons, and giant danios you'd have a beautiful display. Maybe add some plants too (plastic since Silver dollars and cichlids arent too kind to the real thing heh).

mosammy121

i am a fish!!smell me??
Nov 1, 2001
the ropefish are to active to get rid of,the birchir and bgk will be moved to another tank soon.

so do you think i should add another gt or a bigger cichlid?

thanx for the replys/input

sam

mosammy121

i am a fish!!smell me??
Nov 1, 2001
i'm thinking lose the danios and the exodons and add a midas,how many ppl think that will work???

Cypherman

All about Aulonocara!
Apr 3, 2002
Buffalo, NY
A Midas would tear the other fish apart. Stick with the fish I mentioned, maybe add another GT, but that's it....

My opinion, anyway. :rolleyes:

mosammy121

i am a fish!!smell me??
Nov 1, 2001
well :( it's to late i went out and bought an 8" buttikoferi and he got whooped,i had to move the gt into another tank to give the butti and carpenti a break(i hate this part of the hobby)it makes me not want large cichlids,esp sa/ca

my plan is to completely change the decor in the tank and hopefully confuse my gt.

any advice would be greatly appreciated,thanx

AikidoGuy

Cichlidiot
Jul 3, 2001
Sparta, New Jersey
heres how id go. with the 90 for the long haul.

6=asst. silver dollars: cut that to 3silver dollars, its enough to make them feel safe and comfortable, but yet it not to many to out grow your tank anytime soon.

6=giant danios: they should be fine id keep em.

1=common pleco: im not a pleco fan, they seem to cause more waste then they are worth imo. plus they get very large. they only reason i have two is beacause i wont tear apart my big tank to go find them. Id trade it and get a smaller but effective species of pleco.

2=s.algea eater: hell be food for the green terror pretty soon.

1=gt : ive seen some very large ones two cichlids may not work in the 90 gal when he is full grown.

1=carpenti: because of all the mixed info about this fish and the texas cichlid, im not exaclty sure about the full grown size, but for what its worth mine is just under 2years old and hes knocking on the 8"door and is getting quiet bulky. Also although hes not highly aggressive i found it to be VERY territorial if it has its own cave it will make sure it stays that way.

forget all the rest of the fish you have in their, ina year or two from now if not sooner things most likely wont work out for ya.
Id even maybe ditch the carpinte and keep the ropefish withe fish i listed above.
If you do decide to get rid of the carpinte let me know i may be interested ill give you a few bucks for it if you want.

mosammy121

i am a fish!!smell me??
Nov 1, 2001
6=asst. silver dollars: cut that to 3silver dollars--yeah i'm keeping the striped

6=giant danios: they should be fine id keep em.--i may get rid of them and go for more exodon tetras,i have 2 that are about 3"s
(these guy's are fun)

2=s.algea eater: hell be food for the green terror pretty soon.
i've been lucky so far,but they gotta go.they do a great job cleaning though.

1=gt : ive seen some very large ones two cichlids may not work in the 90 gal when he is full grown--i believe they max out at 8 to 10"s

If you do decide to get rid of the carpinte let me know i may be interested ill give you a few bucks for it if you want.

actually i'll give'em to you(free)we gotta do it soon though,so you can get him while he's still showing some nice color and still has his fins :(

i appreciate the input aikido,one quick question though,do you think i'm wasting my time trying to add the buttikoferi??

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store