Guppy fry q

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jake Chet

AC Members
Jul 14, 2017
Hi i have 9 guppy fry in a breeder box currently in my 60g tank, they are fed well and have a decent amount of space, would they be affected if i did a water change on my tank with the water conditioner and bacteria supplements? Thanks

Jake Chet

AC Members
Jul 14, 2017
Guppies and their fry are quite hardy. A water change is no problem, but what is this bacteria supplement? Is the tank not cycled?
No i just thought i always was supposed to add it after a water change with water conditioner...

Guppies99

AC Members
Oct 13, 2017
If your talking about stress zyme that's fine to use, as to your baby fry they can be very hardy but ammonia. Nitrite and Nitrate will harm them even at low levels what Iv read even in a well cycled tank it's good to do a 10-25% water change every 1-2 days which helps reduce any uneaten food left in the tank at the moment I have 25-30 fry in 5 gallon tank expecting more any day, i normally wait a week before moving them to the fry tank.
If you don't have a tank to move them to you can get a fry box that sticks to the side of the tank with a mesh net allowing the water to be free flowing.
When moving them out of a fry tank wait till they get to about 1-1.3cm long or big enough not to be eaten just depends on the size of the fish in your tank.
I have another tank they grow in after getting big enough to move out of the fry tank. I'd love to hear how your baby fry are doing

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
livebearers in general, guppies included, are usually hardy and quite forgiving of water issues. However there is an issue with loss of vigor in livebearers that have been line bred to intensely without sufficient outcrossing. So you may be fine with your normal husbandry practices or you may need to do additional work for them.

Young fish in general are more sensitive than adults, and that includes sudden changes in water parameters that could be caused by large infrequent water changes. It would be better for them to do smaller water changes more often with young fish in the tank.

Guppies99

AC Members
Oct 13, 2017
May we see a photo of the breeder box?

-Kamran[/QUOTY
Sure can I'll upload a pic in about 12 hrs just finished work so I'm knackered lol I will also need to put the breeder box in the tank it's not in there ATM all my baby fry are in a dif tank and don't have any fry due for a week maybe 2 ican up load a small vid of a fry tank also if u want

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store