Hagen AquaClear powerfilters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
anyone ever use these? i found one online thats 428 gph or should i get something else instead? its going to be in an oscar tank and with another filter thats 250 gph i think

Tiburon72

AC Members
Apr 17, 2003
San Diego,California
Visit site
Power Filters....!

Hi Caz,

I have some advice on this subject. I have used a H.O.T. Magnum (Hang On Tank) canister filter. It filters 250 GPH and is actually two filters in one, you can polish you're water with the micron cartridge, or just filter the water in your tank. They make two accessory kits for it: 1) MARINELAND'S POWER KLEEN KIT which allows you to use your canister filter as a vacuum cleaner for your tank, and 2) THE BIO WHEEL PRO 60 which allows you to connect directly two bio wheels to your existing filter, thus gving you mechanical, chemical and biological filtration all in one handy kit.

Check out the following website www.DrsFosterSmith.com and you will be able to find this filter with the kits explained above, I can honestly tell you The only other filter I would even consider using versus my HOT Magnum is the Marineland EMPEROR 400.

I've had mine now for seven years, and the only parts I've changed is the D shaped oring on the main cover, and the impeller motor which had to be replaced after five years. I had Oscars about five years ago, and this filter was more than enough to keep my Oscars healthy. Word of Caution you will need at a minimum a 70 Gallon tank for Oscars.

Very Sincerely,
Tiburon72

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
i mean the hagen brand filters. i have just used whisper my whole life and wondered if hagen was any good, since i found a better deal on a hagen than on a whisper

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
ok cool. i just bought a 500gph filter for a little over 30$. i hope ill like it. :) its going in a 75 gallon tank, with another 300 gph filter.

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
I think you'll find the Aquaclears to be superior to Whispers.

I'm not sure I've ever seen any information that suggests 70% of the people on this board use Aquaclears, though. They're popular, but I'd be surprised if they hold that kind of market share.

Jim

Alex

AC Members
Feb 10, 2003
Columbus, OH USA
adkins.dynip.com
I've used both Aquaclears and Whispers. I like the media chamber better on the Aquaclear but I like the impeller/flow control design better on the Whispers. Both are pretty quiet, same quality and about the same price. If they were the exact same price I would say go with the Aquaclear since you can do more with the media chamber but you wouldn't be unhappy with the whisper. If you are putting this on a large tank you might want to think about a canister filter.

Alex

enufluvfor3

AC Members
Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
Can you tell me a little bit more about the Bio-Wheel Pro 60. I have a aquaclear mini filter for my 10 gallon which is supposed to provide biological and mechanical filtration, but want a biowheel. Where does it attach to the filter, how much space does it use up? I also heard a penguin was a good choice, but they didn't have it where I shop so I went with the aquaclear mini but thought this might be good to add on.

Heidi

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
The BioWheel Pro is designed to be attached to the output of another filter, like a canister. They are often sold in a bundle with HOT Magnum filters. They would be overkill for a small tank.

I like Penguin 170s on ten gallon tanks.

Jim

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store