Hair algea ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DerekO24

Registered Member
Mar 1, 2020
I’ve got this algea in my tank , mostly on my plants and a little on my rocks. None on glass. It’s hair algea I suppose but it’s not green. It’s gray in color. It literally looks like an old ladies hair or something. I tried removing it by hand but all I ended up doing was breaking off pieces of my jungle val, this stuffs really on there I’d attach a photo but this thing won’t allow me to. I’m trying a 2-3 blackout period now , upped my water changes and once I turn lights back on I plan to dial back from 8 to 6. Any other ideas ??

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Have you tested pH, KH, nitrate and phosphates? Algae is caused by an imbalance that favors algae instead of higher plants.

Reactions: DerekO24

DerekO24

Registered Member
Mar 1, 2020
Have you tested pH, KH, nitrate and phosphates? Algae is caused by an imbalance that favors algae instead of higher plants.
Yeah , I do have relatively hard water in the area of CT that I’m in... my water checks out consistent , on all fronts. I did a 3 day blackout , and just added a couple Siamese algea eaters. Excited to see how they do. This is why we keep fish , sucks having some algea on my beautiful plants but it’s all about the challenge I suppose

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
The short term answer is to manually remove the hair alga with a toothbrush, Q-tip, chop stick, etc by twirling it around the alga as best you can.

Yes, turn your lighting photoperiod down to 5 or 6 hours...unless you have higher light plants. Then you might try 2 x 3+ hour lighting, plants won't care much but the algae might. As with many things, water changes may help too.

Dosing Excel can help for some algae if nothing else is working but try other "treatments" first.

Can you post a pic?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh, I just reread your post & it sounds like it could be staghorn alga. It's usually grayish, grayish green or white-ish...not pale or bright green like hair alga. But I still stand by my earlier suggestions.

Unlike tl, I have never tested for phosphate, but if you can, it might be a good idea.

DerekO24

Registered Member
Mar 1, 2020
My 3 day blackout and addition of Chinese algea eater seems to have worked. Although I still have some hair algae It seems my mystery snail and Chinese algae eater finally have the upper hand

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store